Still being able to eat chips is probably one of the best things about being on Slimming World. In fact, since starting just over a year ago I’ve definitely eaten more chips than I ever would have done before! The number of times I’ve had people round for dinner and made chips, only for them to say “Oh so you’re not doing Slimming World tonight then?”…I then explain that I am absolutely doing Slimming World, I’ve just made the chips in such a way that they are syn free and oh so delicious! Needless to say, said dinner guests are always suitably impressed and wolf down their ‘healthy chips’ in satisfaction!
I often make plain chips to accompany my dinner, but recently I’ve been experimenting with a few different flavour combos. It’s no secret that herbs work really will with chips, although some work better than others (trust me minty chips are not good…), and I’m a big fan of garlic, much to the annoyance of my long suffering other half. This particular recipe is for Herb & Garlic Chips, specifically using parsley, and OH MY GOD THEY’RE TO DIE FOR!!!!
The mix of fresh parsley, and parsley that was cooked in with the chips in this recipe was beautiful. The herbs roasted in the oven go crispy and bring out a really deep flavour, and the herbs added at the end give the dish a crisp, clean and fresh taste. Combined with the garlic, which is baked in with the chips, and a good helping of salt and pepper, these are seriously full of flavour.
Obviously you can’t make Slimming World friendly chips, at least not syn free ones, without using Fry Light. To be honest, Fry Light isn’t something I had ever thought about using before I started Slimming Word, in fact I had seen the adverts on the TV and actively dismissed it as not something I needed. I think this is because I have always thought that olive oil was healthy, and whilst it is in small quantities it categorically is NOT in the quantities I used to use it in. Thinking back it actually makes me cringe slightly thinking about the glugs of olive oil that I added to just about everything before I started Slimming World, and I have no doubt that reducing that amount (to almost nothing) has been a huge contributing factor to my weight loss so far. That being said, I know that there are a lot of olive oil purists out there, and don’t get me wrong I do love it as an ingredient, however I strongly believe it is not necessary for cooking great food, and I like to think that I demonstrate that every day!
One of the great things about this recipe is just how soft the chips are on the inside, and how crispy they are on the outside! I do think that that’s a hard thing to achieve with chips, and half the time it just seems like they’re going to do whatever they fancy on that day, but having tested this method out a number of times I can honestly say it’s worked sensationally every time! If you had asked me before whether I’d have considered microwaving my chips instead of boiling them to start off with I’d have thought you were bonkers, however what I’ve discovered is that because we don’t use oil in this recipe the less ‘soggy’ a chip is before it goes in the oven, the better it’ll turn out. By microwaving the chips first instead, you are softening them on the inside and cooking them slightly, without adding additional water (if anything you’re taking it away), so it seems to work really well. What’s more, I find that the four minutes that they’re in the microwave is much more effective if you put them in there with plenty of Fry Light and herbs on already. This essentially marinates the chips before they go in the oven, infusing them with even more taste! Whatever the scientific reason behind why these taste quite so delicious, all I can say is that they really do!
You know when you’ve made a good recipe when you eat it three days in a row right? Well this week I made these chips quite a few times! I did try them once with basil instead of parsley and that was also delicious, although it didn’t crisp up as much as the parsley did. Each time I’ve made these they’ve made me smile!
A delicious tray of syn free and seriously delicious homemade chips, perfect for anyone on Slimming World!
- 8x Large White Potatoes
- 2x Cloves Garlic (minced/crushed)
- Whole Bunch of Curly Parsley (roughly chopped & split into two)
- Salt & Pepper (to taste - I use quite a lot of both!)
- Fry Light
- Preheat your oven to 200 degrees.
- Chop your potatoes into chips, this works well with relatively thick chips, but if you make them smaller just keep an extra eye on your cooking time.
- Transfer the chips into a microwave safe bowl. Spray liberally with Fry Light and then add half of your parsley, the garlic and plenty of salt & pepper. Mix well.
- Microwave the chips for 2 minutes, remove and stir again. Spray with more Fry Light and then microwave for a further two minutes.
- Spray a baking tray with plenty of Fry Light (you need quite a lot to make them crisp on both sides and mean you don't have to flip them).
- Tip out your chips and spread them evenly. Cook them in the oven for 25-30 minutes, or until they don't stick to the bottom of the tray and move around freely. This will mean that they are nice and crispy on the underside. If you want to you can flip them and cook for a further 5/10 minutes, but it's up to you.
- Sprinkle over the remaining parsley, and season with salt and pepper as you like it. Serve straight away!
Syn free on Slimming World.