Cajun Spiced Chicken Burger with Homemade Cajun Marinade
Diet? What diet? Honestly, can you think of any other ‘diet’ that allows you to eat a double stacked burger dripping with cheese, because I can’t! This Syn Free Cajun Spiced Chicken Burger is to die for, especially as it’s made with a homemade Cajun marinade!
You don’t strictly have to double stack this burger, but lets be honest why wouldn’t you! Supermarket chicken breasts are usually kind of small (I’m waiting on my next Muscle Foods order for my giant ones to arrive!) and if you’re a hungry person like me then double stacking is really par for the course. More importantly, on Slimming World, double stacking this Cajun spiced chicken burger doesn’t put you in danger of overeating because you’re still using your Healthy Extra B bun and Healthy Extra A cheese, both of which are measured.
Making The Cajun Spiced Chicken Burger Marinade
You can’t have a Cajun spiced burger without Cajun seasoning! I use the Schwartz seasoning in pretty much every Cajun dish that I make (see my Creamy Cajun Chicken Pasta here) and I could have easily just rubbed the burger in some seasoning and left it at that. However, that can lead to dry meat (especially as we’re not cooking it in oil) and I don’t feel like you really get a sense of that classic Cajun flavour and way of cooking. Instead I made a very simple Cajun marinade for my Cajun Spiced Chicken Burger, which uses very simple ingredients that you probably have in the cupboard already!
As you can see the marinade gives the meat a really strong colour and adds a whole new texture to your meal. It also adds more speed food, as it’s made using a green pepper and onion, which can’t be a bad thing! The longer you marinade your meat for, the more the flavour will sink in, however it needs a minimum of half an hour so if you’re just whacking together a quick dinner then you don’t have to worry about a long marinade too much.
If you’re wondering where I got the serving board in the picture above, it’s actually from Aldi! It set me back about £3.99 and is made from marble and wood and I adore it! I’m very big on presenting my food in the prettiest way possible, I think it makes eating it even more fun, and being able to acquire gorgeous serving boards on a tight budget is wonderful! Aldi is great for picking up all of the things you never knew you needed without spending too much money, and I’m sure your local one will have these boards in stock if you head down soon! I served my Cajun Spiced Chicken Burgers with a hearty helping of homemade syn free chips (see my recipe here) and some extra veg to add my third of a plate speed. You can add whichever veg you fancy, or simply include more salad, it’s totally up to you!
A syn free spiced Cajun burger, made with a homemade Cajun marinade.
30 minPrep Time
25 minCook Time
55 minTotal Time
- 4x Small Chicken Breasts/2x Large Chicken Breasts (cut in half length ways)
- 2x 60g Wholemeal Buns
- 60g Grated Cheddar Cheese
- 1x Tomato
- 2x Lettuce Leaves
- 1x Green Pepper (diced)
- 1/2 Red Chilli (deseeded & diced small)
- 1tbsp Cajun Seasoning
- 1x Small Onion (diced)
- 1x Clove Garlic (crushed)
- 1tbsp White Vinegar
- Fry Light
- Spray a pan with Fry Light over a medium heat and add the pepper, chilli, onion and garlic. Fry until softened.
- Add the cooked ingredients into a food processor and then add the Cajun seasoning and vinegar.
- Pulse until combined but not smooth. You want some texture to the marinade.
- Allow to cool completely before mixing it with your chicken.
- Cover with cling film and set in the fridge for a minimum of half an hour (overnight/all day preferably)
- When your chicken has marinated sufficiently, cook it in the oven for 20 minutes or until cooked through.
- Halve your rolls and stack your chicken with cheese in between each breast fillet on the bottom half of each roll. Put it back into the oven to melt the cheese.
- When the cheese is melted top with tomato, lettuce and the top of each bun & serve immediately while the cheese is still melted!
Syn Free on Slimming World using your Healthy Extra A and B per person.
Syn Values correct at time of writing.
Please do not share screenshots of this recipe to avoid wrong information being shared. Share links instead!
All That I’m Eating
07/02/2017 at 11:09 am
07/02/2017 at 11:24 am
07/02/2017 at 2:38 pm
07/02/2017 at 2:39 pm
07/02/2017 at 2:39 pm
07/02/2017 at 2:40 pm
07/02/2017 at 2:43 pm
07/02/2017 at 2:45 pm
07/02/2017 at 3:09 pm
07/02/2017 at 3:13 pm
Jessy @ The Life Jolie
07/02/2017 at 3:19 pm
07/02/2017 at 4:39 pm
08/02/2017 at 3:28 pm
08/02/2017 at 3:40 pm
Eb Gargano / easypeasyfoodie.com
09/02/2017 at 1:36 pm
10/02/2017 at 1:04 pm
Dave’s Delicious Delights
09/02/2017 at 5:29 pm
10/02/2017 at 1:00 pm