Easy Peasy Low Syn Apple Strudel
Christmas is my favourite time of year for many reasons, one of which is (of course) the food! However, growing up a lot of the classic Christmas sweet treats like Christmas pudding and even Christmas cake were not my cup of tea! The thing that I could never get enough of though, was a classic Apple Strudel which was always on offer in my house at this time of year. This year, however, I’m trying to stick to my healthy ways without compromising on the things I love! That’s why I’ve made this Low Syn Apple Strudel!
A Slimming World Christmas Treat
My biggest promise has always been that I’ll do my best to create recipes that differ as little from their original inspiration as possible, whilst keeping them low syn and suitable for anyone on Slimming World. This recipe does that perfectly! It is perfectly balanced to be just 2 syns per slice but has all of the same components as a normal Apple Strudel. I’ve done this by carefully testing the recipe to get the perfect balance of filo pastry, apple and mincemeat. The syns in the recipe work out as follows:
- 25g Filo Pastry – 4 syns
- 2tbsp Mincemeat – 4 syns
- 100g Cooked Apple – 1.5 syns
- 1tsp Sugar – 1syn
- 1 Egg – syn free
- Low Calorie Cooking Spray – syn free
25g of filo pastry works out as about 5 sheets but you need to make sure to weigh yours out to ensure that you’re not going over your syns (or even going under!). If you’re over by a few grams, the best thing to do is slice the final square of sheets smaller once they are all pressed together, as that way they are all equal and you’re not messing around with the individual sheets!
I love seeing when people make my recipes! So if you do make this Low Syn Apple Strudel you can email it to me or share it on Facebook and Instagram (tagging @basementbakehouse on Facebook or @basementbakehouse_sw on Instagram)! I’d also love it if you shared your baking in my Facebook group too, you can join here if you haven’t already.
Love This Low Syn Apple Strudel? Check Out My Other Slimming World Christmas Recipes!
Over the years I’ve put together a whole load of different Slimming World Christmas recipes, so if you love this Low Syn Apple Strudel the chances are that you’ll enjoy those too! From savoury appetisers to sweet treats, there are loads to pick from for all festive occasions! You can find them all rounded up here!
Tips for Cooking Low Syn Apple Strudel
This Low Syn Apple Strudel is really simple to make and takes just 20 minutes all in all. There are a few key things that you can do to make it even easier on yourself and get the neatest apple strudel possible.
- Have a good space in which to work – you need to be able to lay the pastry sheets out so having some good space in which to cook is ideal
- Get yourself a pastry brush – you can find a good pastry brush on Amazon and it makes it so much easier for all pastry related bakes!
- Cook your apple over a low heat – you want your apple to stew slightly, without going totally mushy, so cooking them over a low to medium heat will give you the control you need.
- Get low fat mincemeat – I have used normal mincemeat in this recipe, because not all supermarkets stock the low fat version, but if you can find it then you can reduce the syns for this whole recipe!
Making Low Syn Apple Strudel
I hope that this recipe for Low Syn Apple Strudel helps you keep on track this Christmas! It’s all about making sure you get the best possible food at the lowest syn value, but even if you find yourself going over your daily syn amounts (as we all do at this time of year) recipes like this help you to keep track and stay in control which makes it a thousand times easier to get back on track after the holidays.
Yields 1 Strudel
Serves 5 Slices
A delicious Low Syn Apple Strudel, perfect for Christmas and just 2 syns per slice!
10 minPrep Time
10 minCook Time
20 minTotal Time
- 25g Filo Pastry (approx 5 sheets)
- 2tbsp Mincemeat
- 100g Apple (peeled & chopped)
- 1x Egg (whisked)
- 1tsp Sugar
- Low Calorie Cooking Spray
- 100mls Water
- Preheat your oven to 180 degrees.
- Brush the edges of each sheet of filo pastry with whisked egg and press them together so you have a thicker square to work with.
- Over a low heat, cook your chopped apple until it is soft. Add the mincemeat and stir together.
- Spoon out your apple and mincemeat mixture into the centre of the filo pastry square and spread it over the middle leaving about an inch and a half on each end and three inches on each side.
- Use a sharp knife to slice the edges of your filo pastry into even strips about 1.5cm wide.
- Fold the strips in a lattice pattern, brushing with egg to stick them together.
- Brush the ends of the filo pastry square with egg and fold over the strips at each end to seal the strudel.
- Brush the whole top of the strudel with egg and dust with the sugar.
- Bake for 10 minutes or until golden brown on top.
10.5 syns in totoal. Makes 5 slices. 2 syns per slice. Syn values correct at time of writing. Always check the syns of your specific ingredients before cooking. Please do not screenshot this recipe as syn values may change in the future.
DON’T FORGET TO PIN THIS LOW SYN APPLE STRUDEL RECIPE FOR LATER!