If you love the idea of a super easy potato curry, that’s packed with flavour and ready to serve in just 30 minutes then this recipe for Best Ever Easy Potato Curry is the perfect choice!
*this is a sponsored post created in collaboration with Tesco Food. This post contains affiliate links.
I adore Indian food because of its flavour, vibrancy and inventiveness but, as anyone who has ever tried to eat healthily will know, greasy takeaways from your local Indian restaurant are not good for your waist line. That’s where delicious fakeaways like this Best Ever Easy Potato Curry come in! It’s a quick and simple recipe, that packs in the spices and gives you everything you’re looking for from a tasty curry – as either the main event, or as a side dish.
Easy Potato Curry Made with Tesco Jersey Royal Potatoes
The inspiration for this recipe came when I was asked to try out the latest addition to Tesco’s potato range, Tesco’s Jersey Royal New Potatoes! These delicate, slightly nutty potatoes are freshly harvested from the island of Jersey, and were the perfect choice for a recipe like this. They’re a true sign that Spring is here and are a seasonal ingredient to add into your dishes.
They worked particularly well because of their size, being larger than new potatoes but smaller than your standard varieties. They are also super fluffy on the inside, but didn’t break down when boiled and so were ideal for carrying the bold flavours of this easy potato curry recipe. What’s more, Tesco sell them in both 450g and 1kg bags, so you can make up as much or as little as you want.
A Slimming World Friendly Fakeaway
This Best Ever Easy Potato Curry isn’t just a simple and delicious recipe, it’s also totally syn free on Slimming World, making it the perfect addition to your Fakeaway menu. With recipes like this in your arsenal you won’t be tempted by the takeaway menus and it’ll be that bit more easy to protect your losses and continue on in your weight loss journey.
I served this Best Ever Easy Potato Curry with an oven baked chicken breast, flavoured with curry spices, and a side of delicious vegetables. It made for the perfect, filling and syn free Slimming World dinner and it went down a treat with the whole family! So, if you’re on the hunt for new Fakeaway inspiration, and feel in the mood for a tasty curry, then this will tick all of your boxes.
How To Make Easy Potato Curry – step by step pictures
To whip up this delicious Slimming World friendly Fakeaway, you need some simple store cupboard spices (available from your local Tesco when you pick up these tasty Jersey Royals!) and a few other basic ingredients. This isn’t an overly spicy recipe, although it has a delicious warmth to it and a slight kick, but you can increase the heat by adding more fresh and powdered chilies.
Fry diced onion and garlic over a medium heat until they begin to reduce and turn translucent.
Reduce to a low heat and then add all of your dry spices, retaining a pinch of saffron for garnish later. Stir the spices with the onions and garlic until they become really fragrant.
Add the diced tomatoes, coriander (retaining some for garnish) and the red and green chilies and increase to a medium heat. Stir until the sauce begins to reduce and cook down to a thick paste.
Halve and boil 1kg of Tesco Jersey Royal Potatoes until they are soft all the way through. Drain and leave to steam for five minutes).
Combine your curry sauce with the boiled and drained Jersey Royal Potatoes and stir until the potatoes are all covered in the sauce.
Serve garnished with fresh coriander and dried saffron, along with a spoonful of fat free plain yogurt.
Top Tips for Making The Best Ever Easy Potato Curry
This recipe really couldn’t be more simple, but there are a few things that will take it from really good, to amazing!
- Don’t use really old spices – they lose their impact after a while sat in the cupboard. If your spice rack is looking a little tired, then stock up with some fresh ones for extra flavour.
- Use Tesco Jersey Royal Potatoes – they really do work so well for this recipe, with the perfect flavour and texture that really add an extra dimension to the recipe. They’re available at Tesco now!
- Check Your Chilies – if you want your curry more, or less, spicy then make sure to check the fresh chilies that you’re buying. Most supermarkets label their chilies with a degree of spice, so you can pick the ones that are right for you and your family.
- Serve with Simple Protein – although this Easy Potato Curry can be eaten on its own, I think it’s best enjoyed with as simple piece of protein. I’ve used chicken, but it would work just as well with fish, or a vegetarian option like fried Tofu or Quorn.
To make the chicken breast simply rub an organic chicken breast with the same spices as you’re using in your curry (to your taste) and then fry on both sides using a low calorie spray until browned. Finish cooking the chicken all the way through in the oven and serve it sliced, over your potato curry.
Best Ever Easy Potato Curry Recipe Card
This recipe is the perfect Fakeaway, and would go great as part of an Indian Fakeaway night with friends. Serve it up with my Best Ever Syn Free Chicken Curry, or give my Slow CookedChicken & Butternut Squash Curry a go instead!
Don’t forget, if you make my Easy Potato Curry and love it, let me know in the comments below.
This super simple recipe for the Best Ever Easy Potato Curry is a syn free Slimming World Fakeaway that the whole family will love. Made with Tesco Jersey Royal potatoes and packed with loads of flavour.
10 minPrep Time
20 minCook Time
30 minTotal Time
5 based on 8 review(s)
- 1kg Tesco Jersey Royal Potatoes (halved)
- 4x Tomatoes (diced)
- 1x Onion (diced)
- 2x Garlic Cloves (finely chopped)
- 1x Red Chili (seeds removed, finely chopped)
- 1x Green Chili (seeds removed, finely chopped)
- 3tsp Garam Masala
- 2tsp Ground Turmeric
- 1/2tsp Mustard Seeds
- 2tsp Ground Cumin
- 1tsp Ground Fenugreek
- 1/2tsp Hot Chilli Powder
- 1tsp Salt
- 1/2tsp Ground Black Pepper
- Dried Saffron (to taste plus extra for garnish)
- 200mls Water
- Fry diced onion and garlic over a medium heat until they begin to reduce and turn translucent.
- Reduce to a low heat and then add all of your dry spices, retaining a pinch of saffron for garnish later.
- Stir the spices with the onions and garlic until they become really fragrant.
- Add the diced tomatoes, coriander (retaining some for garnish) and the red and green chilies and increase to a medium heat.
- Stir until the sauce begins to reduce and cook down to a thick paste.
- Add 200mls of water and simmer over a low heat until reduced to your desired thickness. If you prefer a smooth sauce, you can blend it using a hand blender or food processor.
- Halve and boil 1kg of Tesco Jersey Royal Potatoes until they are soft all the way through.
- Drain and leave to steam for five minutes.
- Combine your curry sauce with the boiled and drained Jersey Royal Potatoes and stir until the potatoes are all covered in the sauce.
- Serve garnished with fresh coriander and dried saffron, along with a spoonful of fat free plain yogurt.
Syn Free on Slimming World. Syn values correct at time of writing.
This recipe is subject to copyright and therefore should not be copied or replicated in any way. Share the link, not screenshots.
This recipe was sponsored by Tesco Food.
DON’T FORGET TO PIN THIS RECIPE FOR EASY POTATO CURRY!