Syn Free Cheesy Oven Baked Meatball Subs
The perfect quick fix lunch or dinner, these baked meatball subs are a million times better than the ones from your local Subway! Trust me!
Think rich homemade tomato sauce, made with just a few ingredients in under 10 minutes, juicy meatballs from Muscle Foods (or made by you if you’ve got the time!) covered in melted cheese and herbs, baked on top of some crusty wholemeal rolls…does that not make your mouth water?!? I know I’m getting hungry just writing about it!
I’ve never been one for Subway myself, it’s something about the bread that just doesn’t work for me, but I know that it’s one of those staples that lots of people following Slimming World miss. Yes, you can go there and opt for a salad, but whilst that’s spot on if you’re just grabbing something on your lunch break, it’s not quite as satisfying as a warm cheesy sandwich.
When cooking at home, you do have the luxury of an oven, so instead of just popping a meatball sandwich in the microwave to melt the cheese, I think it’s so much better to take the extra five or ten minutes to bake this in the oven. It means that not only does the cheese melt in a big bubbly mess (which is exactly how I like it!) but the tomato sauce has the time to soak into the bread rolls and infuse the whole dish with flavour.
For me, I’ve always made huge connections between food and emotions, I don’t think you can eat food without sparking some kind of emotional response. For a long time, food became something that I didn’t enjoy like I had before, because I associated it with my problems with weight. I ate and therefore I was overweight. Since joining Slimming World, I have come to learn that these two things aren’t necessarily connected.
The key difference is that I was eating certain foods in the wrong quantities, and making my meals up of individual components that together made something fundamentally unhealthy. If I take this dish for example, had I made it before not only would I have used white rolls instead of wholemeal (and probably would have had two to myself!), I would have chucked a whole load of oil in with the tomato sauce, covered it in about twice as much cheese and used high fat meatballs.
It’s amazing that just a few basic changes in the way I’ve approached my food since joining Slimming World can make this a healthy and ‘on plan’ dish. I really think that that’s the difference at the root of why Slimming World works. I’m not eating different meals, I’m just making them differently which means I’m losing weight and becoming a healthier person. It’s an incredible feeling, and hopefully one that I can help pass on to all of my readers with recipes that help them do the same!
Syn free using your Healthy Extras and totally melt in the mouth delicious!
- 3x Large Tomatoes (roughly chopped)
- Half a Pack Cherry Tomatoes (halved)
- 2tbsp Tomato Puree
- 150mls Boiling Chicken Stock (or veg stock)
- Pack of Muscle Foods Giant British Meatballs (cut into quarters)
- 3tbsp Mixed Herbs
- 70g Grated Mozzarella (2 person's HexA choice, some varieties allow 40g per person)
- 2x Crusty Wholemeal Rolls (60g each, remove bread from the middle if too heavy - cut in half)
- Salt & Pepper (to taste)
- Fry Light
- Preheat your grill to 200 degrees.
- In a frying pan, fry your quartered meatballs until cooked through.
- Meanwhile, spray a medium sauce pan over a high heat with Fry Light and add your chopped tomatoes and cherry tomatoes. Fry until they begin to break down.
- Add the stock, two tablespoons of the herbs and some salt and pepper to taste and reduce the heat. Simmer for 5-10 minutes.
- Add the tomato puree and simmer until the sauce has thickened. Mix in your meatballs.
- While your sauce is thickening, spray a baking tray with Fry Light and then place your halved rolls in it crust side down. Spray with a bit of Fry Light and pop under the grill for two minutes to toast.
- When toasted, remove from the oven and evenly spoon the meatballs and sauce onto the rolls.
- Sprinkle over your cheese, and the rest of the herbs, and place back under the grill to broil.
- Once the cheese has melted, take out of the oven and serve immediately!
Syn free using 60g wholemeal roll as your HexB option and 35g of grated mozzarella as your HexA option.
Don’t forget to pin this recipe for later!