Super Simple Syn Free Chicken Pad Thai
Pad Thai is one of my top three favourite dishes, so I decided it was about time that I came up with my own completely syn free version, and that’s what I’ve done here!
Funnily enough, I had always assumed that making a Pad Thai would be super complicated, but I genuinely couldn’t have been more wrong! I kind of blew myself away a little bit with quite how easy this was, and how quickly I was rewarded with a dish that tasted just like the one I order every single time I go out for Thai food! Amazing for something that took just 20 minutes to make!
There’s something special about Thai food for me, I’m not sure whether it’s the fact that it conjours up memories of big takeaways at home, or whether it’s the fascination I’ve always had with Thailand. I am in fact heading over there for a holiday in December which I am more excited about than I can say! It’s been a great motivator in terms of my weight loss on Slimming World since I booked this holiday, and whilst I’m hoping to have reached my final goal weight well before I jet off to the beach, it’ll help keep me motivated to maintain once I’ve done so!
What makes this dish even better is that it’s actually really cheap! I cooked it for four of us, and I can’t say exactly how much it cost per portion, but I only had to use two of the Muscle Foods chicken breasts from my Summer Slimming Bundle because they’re so big! They’re also just 79p each, so that’s £1.58 of chicken for FOUR PEOPLE! Factor in that ingredients like noodles, spring onions and chillies are hardly going to break the bank, this is a very cost effective dish! You can pick up the Summer Slimming Bundle for half price here! It includes:
-5kg Chicken Breast Fillets – SYN FREE
-2 x 6-7oz Grass Fed Flat Iron Steaks – SYN FREE
-2 x 6oz British Hache Steaks – SYN FREE
-2 x 5oz Hickory BBQ Chicken Steaks – SYN FREE
-2 x 4oz Sweet Chilli & Lime Burgers – SYN FREE
-6 x 75g Low Fat Cumberland Sausages – 0.5 SYN’s each
-6 x 75g Low Fat Pork Sausages – 0.5 SYN’s each
-14 x 25g Low Fat bacon Medallions – SYN FREE
-2 x 4oz Extra Lean Steak Burgers – 1 SYN each
-2 x 112g Peri Peri Marinated Chicken Skewers – SYN FREE
-30g Grillstock BBQ Seasoning – 2 per 30g
One of the beautiful things about this dish is the gorgeous aromas that are created when you cook it. The paste that you make to start off with is made from the simplest of ingredients, garlic, chilli, coriander and lime, but when it’s cooked and all of those flavours come together in the frying pan, they just smell so delicious! If I could find a way of putting that smell across through the internet I would, but because I can’t you’re just going to have to give it a go yourself! One of the ingredients that you’ll see I’ve used is Sukrin Gold, which is one of my new favourite discoveries! It’s a brown sugar sweetener, but you’d honestly never know it was a sweetener at all. It looks, smells and tastes just like the real thing, and doesn’t leave that nasty taste in your mouth afterwards like some other sweeteners! You can pick it up from Amazon here. You could try this with regular sweetener, but as it’s the brown sugar in Pad Thai that really helps to make it amazing, I’d really recommend grabbing the Sukrin instead!
Completely syn free chicken Pad Thai fakeaway!
- 4x Nests of Flat Rice Noodles
- 2x Muscle Foods Chicken Breasts (sliced thinnly - see post for purchasing details)
- 3x Cloves Garlic
- 1x Red Chilli (plus extra for garnishing)
- 1x Bunch Fresh Coriander (stalks and leaves seperated - you use both)
- 2x Fresh Limes (zest & juice)
- 3tbsp Fish Sauce
- 8x Spring Onions (chopped)
- 1tbsp Sukrin Gold Sweetener
- 200g Bamboo Shoots
- 2x Eggs (whisked together)
- Fry Light
- Cover the rice noodles in boiling water and set to one side. You don't need to cook them you just need to let the boiling water do its thing.
- Add the chilli, garlic, coriander stalks and lime zest into either a pestle and mortar or blender and crush/blend to create a paste.
- Spray a wok or large frying pan with Fry Light and bring it to temperature over a medium to high heat. Add the paste and fry for up to a minute, or until it really begins to smell amazing!
- Add the chicken, half of the chopped spring onions and three quarters of the bamboo shoots and stir fry until the chicken is just cooked through.
- Drain the noodles and add them to the chicken, along with the fish sauce, Sukrin Gold and lime juice and stir fry until everything is coated.
- Take off the heat and pour in the egg, using the residual heat to cook them as you stir until they're just cooked. Serve garnished with the rest of the bamboo shoots, spring onions and a few slices of raw chilli.
Syn free on Slimming World.
*I was provided with some of the products mentioned in this post to review, however all views are my own,
*This post contains affiliate links