Low Syn Filo Pastry Mince Pies

At just 1.5 syns each (actually under but I’m rounding up to be safe!) these mince pies are the perfect thing to help you stay on plan this Christmas! Made using Filo Pastry and traditional mincemeat they are totally melt in the mouth and will please everyone this Christmas!

Christmas for me is a time for friends, family and food and it’s traditionally a time of indulgence. It can be a notoriously tough time for those of us on Slimming World and some people choose to just call it quits until the new year. This is such a dangerous thing to do because if you’re anything like me a month of pigging out can easily mean putting an entire stone back on! For me that would mean gaining almost a third of my whole weight loss back for the sake of a few mince pies and bags of chocolate coins. Instead I prefer to be a ‘Flexible Felicity’ as Slimming World so quaintly puts it. By this I mean I will absolutely not stick to plan 100% and Christmas day will most likely be a write off on the syns front! However, that does not mean I’m going to write off the entire Christmas period. I will be flexible on Christmas and probably on boxing day too (leftover chocolate has to be eaten after all!) but then it’s straight back on it. Two days off plan will not ruin my entire weight loss, neither will the one or two days in the run up to Christmas for parties and drinks, however if I decided to just say stuff it and spend the in-between days stuffing my face too then my weight loss would be totally scuppered!

Something that makes staying on plan over Christmas much easier is being able to make lower syn versions of the classic Christmas treats. Mince pies can be something ridiculous like 11 syns EACH, with all of their melt in the mouth shortcrust pastry, but that doesn’t have to be the case, especially as I don’t know anyone who has ever stopped at just ONE mice pie!

Filo Pastry is absolutely delicious, it’s light, crispy and for the quantities you need in each mince pie it’s mega low syn! 25g or Filo Pastry is 3.5 syns, which makes the five grams you need in each mince pie (about 7-8 sheets 2 inches square) a tiny 0.7 syns! Made using egg instead of butter to bind the sheets, and with just half a syn (1tsp) of mincemeat in each they are just 1.2 syns each. I’m rounding up for each to 1.5 syns to allow for slight variations in quantities and sizes but that still means you could polish off 10 of them within your syn allowance if you wanted to!

I made these mince pies in a muffin tin like this one which had space for four on each line. This makes them small enough to remain low syn, but big enough to be a really satisfying couple of mouthfuls! You could make bigger ones by using a larger muffin tin by doubling the quantities, which frankly would still be only three syns per mince pie which is still very reasonable! These are about the size of the small mince pies you get in the shops, which are still about 5 syns each from what I’ve seen! As you can see from the pictures I served them up for everyone along with bunches of red currents, which to me are such a quintessentially Christmas-y fruit! You’ll also find that if you serve these up with fruit that you’ll eat fewer mince pies, which can also help protect your weight loss.

Yields 10

Low Syn Filo Pastry Mince Pies

Delicious 1.5 syn mince pies made with melt in the mouth filo pastry and traditional mincemeat!

20Prep Time

7Cook Time

27Total Time

Save RecipeSave Recipe

• 25g Filo Pastry (cut into equal squares roughly 2inches x 2 inches)
  • 10tsp Mincemeat
  • 1x Egg
  • Fry Light

1. Preheat your oven to 180 degrees.
  2. Divide your piles of filo pastry squares into 10, this gave me about 8 sheets for each.
  3. Whisk your egg in a cup or small bowl.
  4. Spray ten of your muffin tin holes with plenty of Fry Light, this helps to give the pastry a more golden colour on the outside.
  5. Carefully layer each layer sheets of filo pastry from each of your piles into each muffin tin, brushing them individually with the whisked egg before you put them in. You need to layer them unevenly so they go over the bottom and up the sides all the way around, stick up around the sides of the muffin tin holes.
  6. Fill each with one teaspoon of mincemeat and then fold the sides over the top, brushing with plenty of egg as you fold. The egg makes the pastry go nice and golden as well as stick together so you want to make sure all the nooks and crannies are brushed lightly with egg.
  7. Bake for 7 minutes in your preheated oven and then leave to cool before eating.
  8. Enjoy them warm or cool!

1.5 syns on Slimming World.

7.8.1.2
117
Don’t forget to PIN this recipe to make later!

DELICIOUS FILO PASTRY MINCE PIES! Low Syn Mince Pies - Slimming - World - Mince - Pies - Christmas - Recipe - Low - Syn

CookBlogShare

Siân McCoy
    07/12/2016 at 1:15 pm Actually, if you mx a small amount of mincemeat into stewed apple ( you really need a very small amount to give you the mincemeat tsetse) you can lessen the sins even more!!!! And if you want "cream" with them, add sweetener and vanilla extract to either low fat creme fraiche or fromage frais and hey pesto!!! Diet? What diet??!!
      07/12/2016 at 1:16 pm Great idea Sian! I hadn't thought of that but will definitely give it a go, synning the cooked apple of course! Although mincemeat is surprisingly low syn I think ?
        Helen
        08/12/2016 at 6:43 am How many sins would a ked apple be and how would u cook yr apple
          17/12/2016 at 6:19 pm 100g of cooked apple is 2.5 syns :)
    Siân McCoy
    07/12/2016 at 1:16 pm Sorry should have said "taste". Flipping spellcheck!!!!!
    Luci
    07/12/2016 at 1:31 pm Oh I love this twist on mince pies - I have so filo in the fridge right now and was just thinking about something similar. I'll have to try a different binder to the egg though, so probably back to some vegetable butter :)
      07/12/2016 at 2:21 pm Do let me know how you get on with them! I love filo, it's so versatile! Butter is the standard binder, I just used egg to cut down on the fat. Hope they turn out great!
    Ludmilla
    07/12/2016 at 1:46 pm It looks delicious!! Such a great idea for Christmas!!
      07/12/2016 at 2:21 pm Thank you very much!
    Cricket Plunkett
    07/12/2016 at 1:48 pm I've never had a mince pie before, I should probably change that this holiday season!
      07/12/2016 at 2:20 pm You're definitely missing out! They're so delicious, perfect for Christmas! Let me know if you like them!
    Lisa | Garlic & Zest
    07/12/2016 at 2:09 pm I've never claimed to be an early adopter to anything, but this is the first time I've heard of a "syn". What is it? Low-carb? Low sugar? Your tarts look fab!
      07/12/2016 at 2:19 pm Thanks Lisa! A syn is quite a specific term so I'm not surprised you've not heard of it, don't worry! It's specific to the Slimming World plan, which is really big here in the UK and growing (I believe) in the states! It's a weight loss plan, not a diet more of a lifestyle change, made up of free foods (lean meat, fat free dairy, eggs, vegetables, pasta, potatoes, rice, herbs, spices etc...), synned foods (chocolate, pastry, oil etc...) and 'Healthy Extras' which are measured amounts of fibre and dairy. It sounds like a bit of a maze but it makes it super simple to create recipes using individually synned ingredients and it's a diet which is based on home cooking which is great! Hope that explains it a little!
    Mahy
    07/12/2016 at 3:05 pm Oh what a perfect twist on the classic meat pie! I love this version using filo--I'm tired of everything puff pastry in life lol I'll be making these for sure--thanks for sharing!!!
      07/12/2016 at 3:10 pm I'm so glad you like them Mahy! I'm a big fan of Filo Pastry!
      Meredith
      23/12/2016 at 8:40 pm You really have to try an all butter shortcrust pastry version from a UK supermarket (M&S preferably) to get the full effect....It's a sweet pastry designed to put weight on for Winter, hence we have to have a low fat version for Slimming World. Sigh.....?
    Mandy
    07/12/2016 at 4:52 pm What a clever idea to use filo - I bet they are delicious! Thanks for linking up with #CookBlogShare this week
    Eb Gargano / easypeasyfoodie.com
    07/12/2016 at 4:53 pm I am loving these diet friendly versions of party food you are making - what a brilliant idea to stay on plan. And these gorgeous mince pies look fab - I love your idea for using filo pastry, I'll have to try that! I make my own shortcrust pastry without sugar, which helps make them healthier, and I actually prefer them that way! I have been working on reducing my sugar intake over the last year and as a result I don't like really sugary things any more. Most biscuits, cake and chocolates just taste horrible now - which is great for keeping me healthier. Now I snack on things like oatcakes and apples - and actually enjoy them more than sweet treats - crazy huh? Eb x
      17/12/2016 at 6:21 pm Thanks Eb! I really loved these! I've not tried to make a low sugar shortcrust though, that sounds like a great idea! Do you have a recipe on your blog for it? I might give it a go if you do! I'm still a sucker for a sweet treat but I'm doing my best! X
    Monika Dabrowski
    08/12/2016 at 8:50 am These mince pies look so lovely! They must be delicious straight from the oven. I love fuss free recipes such as this one!
    Nico @ yumsome
    08/12/2016 at 11:07 am Oh, these look amazing. I love mince pies... but I don't like the inevitable wobble that follows! LOL! Definitely going to be making these!
    Midgie
    09/12/2016 at 4:32 pm Oooh so pretty! Love the use of filo making them dairy & eggfree too! x
      17/12/2016 at 6:18 pm Thanks! I love it too, it's such a versatile pastry to use! x
    Angela / Only Crumbs Remain
    11/12/2016 at 11:18 am What a fab idea Cliona, i love love love mince pies but as you say they're not exactly the friendliest of foods for our waist lines. Filo is such a lovely pastry too, it's a wonder we don't see more of these around and about to be hones. Angela x
      17/12/2016 at 6:15 pm Thanks Angela! I love filo, I'm using it for everything at the moment! x
    Kirsty Hijacked By Twins
    12/12/2016 at 8:03 pm Thank you for sharing this SW filo mince pies they are top of my to bake list for Christmas. Thank you for sharing with #CookBlogShare x
    Liz Barton
    18/12/2016 at 4:22 pm I'm not a goddess in the kitchen so my attempt to follow this recipe appears to have failed. I weighed out 25g of filo & cut it into what i thought to be 2 inch squares however, i had nowhere near enough to make 10 piles of 8 squares......where did i go wrong?
      18/12/2016 at 7:18 pm I'm sure they haven't failed! Use the guide of 5g per mince pie which might work better. It might be that you have a different kind of filo which is packaged differently ?
        Liz Barton
        18/12/2016 at 8:53 pm The filo i used was Just Rol, 25g was about half of one sheet, maybe a 12in square......does that sound right? They taste nice but i only managed to get 5 teeny ones so worried about getting the syns right x
        Bernadette
        10/10/2017 at 4:14 pm Hi there, I too have just done the same thing. I could only make five? Should I use a small muffin tin? Many thanks. Bernie
          10/10/2017 at 4:56 pm Hi Bernadette, yes these were made in a small muffin tin, they're bite sized :)
    Low Syn Gingerbread Christmas Decorations – Basement Bakehouse
    22/12/2016 at 5:24 pm […] kinds of little changes which make staying on plan over Christmas much easier! You can give my filo pastry mince pies a go for pre-dinner nibbles and make my low syn lemon tart for pudding and you’ll be well on […]
    Ju
    01/10/2017 at 10:37 am these are fab thanks for sharing I have just made a batch (and it's only just October lol)
    Angie
    05/10/2017 at 6:52 pm Hi Client, Love these. Must try for Christmas! Could you tell me what type of mincemeat you used? Can you just use a jar like Tesco 's finest or did you use a specific low fat version? We've a Sw taster next week. I'd bring these along!!! Thanks!
      Angie
      05/10/2017 at 6:54 pm Sorry! Meant Cliona! Predictive text!!!
      06/10/2017 at 9:28 am Hi Angie, I just used normal mincemeat, however I believe you can get 'light' version so that would reduce the syns even more! You would just need to check the syn values of whichever brand you use and adjust accordingly :)
    25 Delicious Festive Pastries: Sweet & Savoury -