Syn Free Homemade Sausages
Sausages are delicious and they go with everything from breakfast, lunch and dinner, but they can be rather high in syns and low syn brands can often be very expensive! I therefore decided to whip up my own batch of homemade syn free bangers to have with my syn free mash and garlic & parsley mushrooms!
To make my syn free sausages I used Muscle Foods low fat pork mince which is just £2.50 a pack, or available as part of a number of different deals with Muscle Foods such as the 65 Piece Best of British Selection which is just £55 which works out as a tiny 85p per piece of meat! You get between 6 and 8 sausages out of a 400g pack of pork mince so whether you get it for £2.50 or 85p that works out as insanely cheap! Not only do these work out as great value, but they are totally syn free and absolutely delicious!
If you want you can think of these as ‘naked sausages’ because they don’t have the thin skin around the outside. There are two reasons I did this, firstly because sausage casings often have syns and secondly I just couldn’t be bothered with the effort! I wanted to make easy, simple sausages which didn’t require any special ingredients. Instead I made the classic sausages shape using cling film and retained that shape through cooking with just half a hour in the freezer to firm up the meat. They might not be perfectly formed, or all the same shape and size, but they are all delicious and they are proper sausages.
I enjoyed my sausages with creamy syn free mash, speedy garlic and parsley mushrooms and sweetcorn and topped it all of with some super easy low syn gravy! I’ve popped the recipe for the gravy in the recipe card below too, but it’s just a very simple basic recipe for those days that you don’t want to spend the time making anything fancy. Perfect in fact for this cosy, simple dinner! This gravy works out at half a syn per portion when split between four but if you want to make your own syn free gravy you can try out my recipe which can be found here. In my opinion the best kind of sausages are the ones which are packed full of fresh herbs so that’s exactly what I’ve done here. I’ve used a good quantity of fresh parsley, along with dried mixed herbs, in these sausages which gives them that really delicious proper British sausage flavour.
Delicious totally syn free homemade sausages
- 2tbsp Mixed Herbs
- Handful Chopped Fresh Parsley
- Salt & Pepper (to taste)
- Fry Light
- 1tbsp Plain Flour
- Roughly roll out a section of the mince on some cling film and roll the cling film around it. Roll it under your palms until you have an even sausage shape. Cut the cling film off the roll and finish rolling the sausage over it. Twist each end of the sausage over and over until they're tightly sealed.
- Repeat until all the sausages are formed and then pop in the freezer for 20 minutes to firm up.
- Preheat your oven to 200 degrees.
- Remove from the freezer and unwrap each and pop on a baking tray sprayed with Fry Light.
- Season with salt and pepper and pop in the oven for about 15 - 20 minutes, turning half way through, until browned and cooked all the way through.
- Remove from the heat and serve!
Sausages are syn free on Slimming World. Gravy is half a syn each when served between four people.