This recipe is one of my go to favourites, and it’s a sure fire winner at home. Cottage pie is a fantastic choice for a big family meal, and I love it because it’s real, homemade comfort food.
This recipe is a healthy version, and depending on portion size there is at most 1 syn per serving (3 syns over all) for any of my lovely Slimming World readers. For anyone who’s not following the Slimming World plan then this is simply a tasty, healthy and pleasing meal!
Happy, healthy comforting cottage pie!
- Fry Light
- 500g Lean Beef Mince (5% fat or under)
- Pack of Cherry Tomatoes (halved)
- 1tbsp Bisto Gravy Granules (made up with 100ml boiling water)
- 200ml Strong Beef Stock
- Salt & Pepper
- 2tbsp Tomato Puree
- 5 Large Potatoes (peeled and chopped)
- Preheat your oven to 200 degrees.
- Spray a frying pan with Fry Light over a high heat and add the beef, stirring regularly until the meat is browned.
- Add the cherry tomatoes and continue to stir until these have softened slightly.
- Add the gravy and 100ml of the Beef stock, along with the tomato puree and mix thoroughly. Reduce the heat and leave to simmer for 10-15 minutes.
- In the meantime add your chopped potatoes to boiling water and leave to boil until soft.
- When the potatoes are soft, mash them with the rest of the beef stock until all of the lumps are gone (this is how I make Slimming World friendly mashed potato!) Season with salt & pepper.
- In a medium sized baking tray or glass dish add the mince and then top with the mashed potato, using a fork to spread the mash evenly over the top (this will give your dish that classic ridged topping).
- Bake in the oven a 200 degrees for approximately 20 minutes or until the top has begun to go slightly brown.
- Serve with lots of tasty veg and enjoy!
The whole dish is 3 syns on Slimming World and serves approximately 4 people depending on your portion sizes!