Cheese and me are good friends, and I’m always looking for new and delicious ways to stuff my face with it! On Slimming World you get your allotted portion of dairy every day (your HexA) and as I’m not a tea or coffee drinker (I know right?!) mine almost always goes on cheese.
Here’s one of my new favourite ways to enjoy my daily cheese, melted all over homemade meatballs covered in homemade tomato sauce. The great thing about this dish is that the sauce itself is full of speed food, which means you’re ticking multiple boxes at the same time. You could eat this dish with any number of things, pasta, chips, bread (if you’re using your HexB), you name it! OR you could just whack a load more speed food on it if you’re doing an SP day…whatever way you look at it, it’s a winner!
I make my meatball bake in a proper deep dish lasagne tray, because you can fill it up properly and you avoid the sauce bubbling over the top…you can use them to make deep dish brownies too for those not so on plan days 😉
Using your HexA this cheesy bake is a quick, simple and delicious dinner!
- 1tsp Salt
- 2tbsp Tomato Puree
- 1tbsp Mixed Herbs
- 1 Yellow/Orange Pepper (diced)
- 3 Regular Tomatoes (quartered)
- Handful Cherry Tomatoes (halved)
- 1 Onion (finely chopped)
- 2 Cloves Garlic (minced)
- 200ml Stock (chicken/vegetable)
- 2tbsp Tomato Puree
- 1tbsp Paprika
- 2tsp Mild Chilli Powder
- 1/2tsp Chilli Flakes (optional)
- Salt & Pepper (to taste)
- Fry Light
- 80g Grated Mozzarella (HexA if serving two, for each extra person add 40g)
- Preheat your oven to 200 degrees.
- Add the tomatoes and peppers, continue to sauté until they soften and begin to reduce. Add 100mls of your stock, and the chilli powder, flakes and paprika. Simmer and stir continuously until it begins to thicken, add stock gradually until the tomatoes and peppers have cooked down.
- Add the tomato puree and stir it in. Simmer on a low heat until the sauce has thickened.
- Divide into your desired number of meatballs, I made this recipe between two so made 10 large meatballs, but if you're serving more or want smaller portions just double the number of balls you make.
- Turn each chunk of meat into a ball using your hands.
- Pour your sauce over the meatballs until it surrounds them. Depending on how big your meatballs are, or how thick your sauce is, it may cover them or it may not. Either way it doesn't matter.
- Sprinkle your cheese on top evenly. Depending on how many people you're serving you could add more cheese (40g per person).
- Pop in the oven for 20/30 minutes, or until the meatballs have cooked through and the cheese has started to catch in places.
Syn free using your HexA on Slimming World. If not using your HexA add 6 syns for every 40g of grated Mozzarella.