Mac & Cheese is one of life’s greatest comfort foods, but as such is usually full of about a billion calories and incredibly high in fat and naughty things. This version however, is the opposite! With all of the same beautiful flavour, delicious melted cheese and smooth, creamy consistency, but totally syn free on Slimming World using your Healthy Extra A, this Syn Free Mac & Cheese which serves two people is a must make recipe, especially now that the weather is colder! As you can see from the video, this couldn’t be a more simple and easy recipe!
I first decided to make this, and worked out how to make it healthy, when I suddenly got a massive craving for Mac & Cheese…which to be honest I’ve never had a particular craving for before. I’ve always enjoyed Mac & Cheese though, and perhaps its something to do with the cold weather, dark evenings and my sudden need to for fluffy socks and onsies that made me fancy this particular dish. However, as anyone following any kind of lifestyle plan will know, if you’ve got a weight problem you can’t just snap your fingers and eat anything you fancy at any time. So it was time to come up with a way of making Mac & Cheese, Slimming World style! I had the idea to use cottage cheese, because it’s often used as a substitute on Slimming World in recipes such as quiche. I know it cooks well and works well with heat, melting without splitting, and it adds a great creamy element. After that it was just hoping that the mix of cottage cheese, normal cheese and egg would stand up under the heat! If you’re not a fan of cottage cheese, please don’t let it put you off. You can’t taste it, and if you’d prefer it totally smooth simply blend the cottage cheese before adding the egg and cheese. I’ve seen the new cooking quark that was recently released, but haven’t had a chance to try it yet, but I think that would work too if you really don’t want to use cottage cheese!
I can now confirm that it 100% worked! I was rewarded with a mouthwatering melted pot of creamy cheesy pasta, grilled on the top for a just a hint of crunch, and oh so comforting! I split the portion between two, because it was so big, making it syn free (if you have the whole thing count 6 syns for the cheese!), and accompanied it with some chicken and salad for my speed food! I’m seriously thrilled with how it turned out and how easy it was to do. I know that next time I’m fancying some stodge for dinner I can whip this up in 20 minutes and be really happy!
Deliciously naughty tasting mac & cheese with no syns!
- 200g Macaroni Pasta
- 1x Chicken Stock Cube
- 70g Grated Cheddar Cheese
- 3tbsp Cottage Cheese
- 2x Eggs
- Salt & Pepper (to taste)
- Preheat your grill to 200 degrees.
- Spoon the cottage cheese into a medium sized bowl, use a fork to squish it about a bit and break it up.
- Add the eggs one at a time and mix thoroughly.
- Add the cheese, mix together. Season with salt & pepper.
- Cook the macaroni pasta as per packet instructions, adding the chicken stock to the water whilst boiling. Drain when cooked.
- Turn the heat off, you don't want any new heat being added to the mix. Tip the cheese mix into the pasta and stir straight away. Don't stop until the sauce has thickened, placing back on the residual heat as you stir for a few seconds at a time.
- Tip into a baking dish or tray and grill for five minutes or until the top is your desired level of crispy.
- Split between two and enjoy straight away, reheat or enjoy cold!
Syn free on Slimming World when split between two people using your Healthy Extra A.