Syn Free Cheese & Bacon Hash Browns
I love hash browns, but the ones you buy at the supermarket can be very high in syns, and most recipes out there require you frying them in gallons of hot oil…not these though! These are totally syn free, full of cheese and bacon, and easy peasy to boot! I made them last week for breakfast, along with my Muscle Foods sausages (which are epic by the way and only 0.5 syns each!), and added some tasty scrambled eggs for good measure. Needless to say, this is now my go to Sunday morning breakfast!
Before I started Slimming World, I often skipped breakfast, thinking that it’d help me get thin, and telling myself that it would make up for a binge the night before. This was 110% the wrong mindset, and if anything would have made me put on even more weight! By skipping breakfast you actually slow down your metabolism, and send your body into starvation mode. This means that although you’ve had less calories to start the day, when you do eventually eat your body stores the fat from that food immediately, to account for any future skipped meals! I now enjoy at least three meals a day (usually two snacks as well!) and make sure not to skip…unless I have an unusually long lie in at the weekend in which case I just make sure to eat a big brunch! If you, like I did, ever tell yourself that skipping a meal will make up for a night of bad eating, or try and convince yourself that it’ll help your weight loss, then it’s time to change your mindset! Try eating three meals a day for a few weeks and see what difference it makes…you might just be surprised!
Delicious breakfast hash browns using your HexA!
- 3x Medium/Large White Potatoes (e.g. King Edward - peeled)
- 1x Egg
- 5x Spring Onions (plus extra for garnish)
- 5x Rashers Lean Bacon (I use Muscle Foods)
- 60g Grated Cheddar Cheese (HexA)
- Fry Light
- Salt & Pepper (to taste)
- Cut the bacon into small pieces, and fry until crispy. Set aside to cool. Wash and dry the frying pan.
- Grate the potatoes into a bowl using a regular cheese grater.
- Transfer the grated potatoes into a sieve and run under a cold tap until the water running out of the bottom turns clear. Press the potatoes down to get rid of as much water as possible.
- Tip the potato onto a few sheets of tissue or a clean, dry cloth. Pat dry, removing as much water as possible.
- Put the potatoes back into a bowl, and crack in the egg. Chop the spring onions and add the bacon and cheese. Mix together. Season with salt & pepper to your taste.
- Put your frying pan back over a medium heat and spray with Fry Light. As the Fry Light begins to bubble spoon heaped tablespoons of your potato mixture into the frying pan, leaving a good sized gap between each one.
- When you've got as many as you can fit into the frying pan, use the bottom of a glass to press them down slightly until they're the size/thickness you want, but making sure not to make them too thin as they won't flip if they are. I made mine about 1.5cm thick.
- Allow to fry for about 4 minutes on each side, or until brown and crispy, pushing any stray bits back in and pressing each hash brown with a spatula occasionally to bind the mixture together.
- Keep the first batch warm in the oven whilst you make the rest, and then serve with a sprinkling of onions alongside your breakfast!
Syn free between two using the cheese as HexA.