Grilled Asparagus Wrapped in Mozzarella & Prosciutto
I’m currently relaxing in a hotel room in the beautiful (and slightly rainy) city of Chicago, so this will be a quick one today! Grilled asparagus with mozzarella and prosciutto has long been one of my favourite little snacks, side dishes or starters. Full of melted cheese, wrapped in salty cured ham and with the added crunch of healthy asparagus, it’s beautiful!
What’s more, asparagus is a speed food, and with the mozzarella being used as your HexA choice, it’s just half a syn per portion to account for any left over bits of fat on the prosciutto. You can enjoy five portions as your HexA, or just have one or two and save the rest of your choice for later, it’s up to you, but whatever you do give this a try next time you’re stuck for something light and delicious to eat!
Ever since before starting Slimming World, this has been a favourite of mine, and the only difference I’ve had to made since being on plan is to take as much visible fat off the prosciutto as possible and to use a measured amount of cheese instead of chucking as much as I wanted in there. The brilliant thing was, when I tried this out Slimming World style, it was actually better because it gave the perfect ratio of cheese to asparagus!
For me, one of the best things about the Slimming World plan is that it gives you a bit of perspective, and shows you that the portions, or quantities you were using before weren’t necessary. You can get the same great tasting food, if not better, by cooking in a sensible and mindful way, using healthy amounts of ingredients and being a bit more conscious about what it’s doing to your body!
This recipe is ideal whether you’re sat at home for a night in, or you’re entertaining guests, and could even be taken to taster evenings to wow the rest of your Slimming World group!
A simple, effective, low syn starter, snack or light meal!
- 20x Asparagus Heads (cut pieces of asparagus)
- 10x Prosciutto Slices (remove as much visible fat as possible)
- Ball Fresh Mozzarella (sliced into 10g pieces - you need 10 pieces)
- Ground Pepper (to taste)
- Fry Light
- Top two pieces of asparagus with 10g of mozzarella.
- Wrap the asparagus and mozzarella in a piece of prosciutto, making sure to finish at the bottom so as to make sure it doesn't unwrap. Sprinkle with a bit of ground pepper.
- Repeat ten times.
- Spray a griddle, griddle pan or frying pan with Fry Light and heat until the Fry Light is bubbling. Place your asparagus seam side down.
- If you have something to weigh the asparagus down with you can use this (as per the image above) but it's not necessary.
- Grill for 3 - 4 minutes on each side, or until the asparagus is cooked to your liking.
- Remove from the pan and serve immediately.
Each of these would account for 1/5 of your HexA (50g) so you can have five as your HexA. 1/2 syn each to account for any leftover fat on the prosciutto.