Seriously Simple Syn Free Gravy
There are some meals that you just can’t have without gravy, but homemade gravy recipes are often full of flour to thicken them, and oil to give them flavour, not this one though! My new gravy recipe is a thick, delicious, healthy alternative and is perfect for all of us Slimming World-ers looking for a saucy fix on our roasts, mash or toad in the hole! The great thing about this recipe is that it can be made to go with beef, chicken or even as a vegetarian option, it’s just down to the kind of stock you use, and it’s completely gluten free too as well as being syn free and utterly delicious!
I enjoyed my delicious gravy with mash and Muscle Foods meatballs which are simply some of the best meatballs I’ve ever eaten (both on and off Slimming World!). They’re just half a syn for three so they’re well worth having in the freezer, and I’m not going to lie I did in fact eat an entire pack…they’re that good! You can pick them up from Muscle Foods here, or they’re usually part of one of their fab deals! If they’re not though, you can always get them alongside my exclusive deal which includes 63 pieces of meat for £50 (73p each – grab it here or click the banner below).
The secret to this recipe, which is so thick and sumptuous, is Xanthan Gum! If you read my blog a lot you’ll know that this is one of my go to ingredients for thickening sauces. It’s syn free, gluten free and doesn’t taste of anything, and a quarter of a teaspoon does about the same job as an entire tablespoon of flour so you barely use any! I got this tub of it from Amazon months ago and I’ve barely made a dent in it, despite having used it at least a couple of times a week!
The mash you see in the pictures is also syn free, and you can find the recipe here, although on this occasion I used new potatoes instead of regular potatoes and left the skin on as I LOVE skin on mashed potato. Leaving the skin on your potatoes when you make mash not only adds a whole new texture, but it is a really healthy way to do things as it adds fibre to your dish as well as amazing vitamins like Vitamin B, C, Iron, Calcium and Potassium…so more often than not I leave the peeler in the draw!
Thick, shiny, delicious gravy - totally syn free!
- 2x Medium Onions
- Fry Light
- 250mls Strong Beef/Chicken/Vegetable Stock
- 1tsp Mixed Herbs
- 1/2tsp Xanthan Gum
- Salt & Pepper (to taste)
- Roughly chop the onions and fry them in a sauce pan with Fry Light for a couple of minutes to soften them.
- Add the chicken stock, herbs, salt and pepper, and bring to the boil.
- Sprinkle on the Xanthan Gum and stir in. It will clump up but continue stirring as the pan boils and it will dissolve and thicken the sauce. If you want a thicker consistency either boil more, or add a tiny bit more Xanthan Gum.
- Boil until the onions are really soft, about 10 minutes.
- Using a hand blender, blend until smooth (making sure not to splash yourself with boiling gravy).
- Serve over your chosen dish!
Syn free on Slimming World. Gluten Free.