Anyone who knows me knows that I LOVE pizza! It’s basically my spirit animal and probably quite a large part of the reason I gained so much weight in the first place. It’s also my biggest downfall on Slimming World because I just can’t say no when it’s offered to me. That’s why ever since starting on this journey I’ve been coming up with ways to enjoy pizza without going off plan. I made my delicious Syn Free HexB Pizza (with wholemeal bread mix) and have made my own Syn Free Pizza Sauce too, not to mention my Pizza Stuffed Burgers and Pizza Jacket Potatoes, and now I’m back with my Syn Free One Pot Penne Pizza Bake! This is the ultimate in one pot pizza bakes and gives you all of the carb loaded satisfaction of pizza without the guilt! You can watch the video below or read the instructions to find out how to make it!
One pot of this gives you six portions, loaded with cheese and the toppings of your choice! I went for ham and mushrooms, with some extra cherry tomatoes on there for added speed too. With a bit of extra basil sprinkled on top and the deliciously stodgy pasta underneath instead of your standard pizza dough you really can’t go wrong! What’s more, this is all made in one pot together with the sauce and toppings which means you save on washing up and time! I love one pot pastas because they’re just so simple, the pasta cooks in the stock and the sauce makes itself, you barely have to do anything except gradually add the water and stir!
I served my slice of Penne Pizza Bake with a healthy portion of salad for extra speed food, which when combined with all of the tasty tomatoes makes this a really healthy meal…even if it doesn’t look like it! Even my mum commented that there’s no way that this could be syn free when she saw what I was making! You could happily serve this to anyone, friends, kids, partners, who isn’t on Slimming World and they would be none the wiser.
A totally syn free one pot pasta with pizza toppings!
- 500g Penne Pasta
- 1x Tin Tomatoes
- 1x Onion (diced)
- 1/2tsp Crushed Garlic
- 10-15 Cherry Tomatoes (halved) plus extra for topping
- 3/4 Pint Chicken Stock
- Extra Boiling Water (to add gradually whilst cooking)
- Handful Basil (plus extra for topping)
- Salt & Pepper (to taste)
- 2tbsp Mixed Herbs
- Fry Light
- Ham (roughly chopped)
- Sliced Mushrooms
- Or alternative toppings of your choice
- Preheat your oven to 180 degrees.
- Fry the onions with Fry Light and then add the garlic. Fry until soft.
- Add the cherry tomatoes and then the stock and bring to the boil. Pour in the penne pasta and mix into the stock.
- Add the tinned tomatoes and mix thoroughly. Cover and reduce the heat. Stir and simmer until the stock is running out and then add more water gradually.
- Stir in the basil, salt & pepper and mixed herbs.
- Continue to stir, simmer and add water until the pasta is cooked through and then take it off the heat. You don't want it to be really sloppy, the water should have been added gradually to make a sauce that you don't have to drain. (see video if unsure)
- Smooth the pasta in the saucepan until you have an even top and sprinkle the cheese evenly to cover.
- Add your toppings and spray with a bit more Fry Light. Add the basil to garnish.
- Bake for 15 minutes or until the cheese is melted and toppings are cooked.
- Slice into six portions and enjoy with a side salad or veg!
Syn free using your Healthy Extra A on Slimming World.