Low Carb Aubergine Pizza Rolls
If you follow my blog at all you’ll know I’m a total pizza addict and that it’s something which has contributed quite heavily to my weight struggles over the years! That being said, I have made a big effort to discover and create healthier alternatives which give me (and you) all of the same satisfaction as pizza without all the unhealthy consequences. These Low Carb Aubergine Pizza Rolls are the latest in my long line of healthy pizza style recipes and I couldn’t be more in love with it!
Are These Low Carb Aubergine Pizza Rolls Slimming World Friendly?
These Low Carb Aubergine Pizza Rolls are the ideal addition to your Slimming World meal plan! They are syn free using your Healthy Extra A option, with your own homemade tomato sauce which is totally packed full of flavour! The best thing about cooking these is that they’re ideal for an SP day or when you’re just trying to limit your carb intake.
There’s two ways you could really enjoy these! The first is to keep them vegetarian as the main event with a side of healthy, slow release carbs such as quinoa or couscous and a leafy green salad on the side. The second way is to add a bit of extra protein, either in the form of meat or vegetarian alternatives such as Quorn. I think this would work perfectly with some Moroccan spiced chicken or some simple grilled salmon! These options keep it syn free and give you plenty of options to stay on plan and keep healthy.
Are These Gluten Free?
The benefit of removing any bread or pizza base from this recipe is that they are totally gluten free! If you’re sensitive to gluten or have coeliac disease then make sure that the stock cubes you’re using are gluten free too, as you wouldn’t want to add accidental gluten if it’s going to make you sick or flare up any other medical issues you might have, for instance IBS!
Cooking With Aubergines
Aubergines are a a slightly tricky vegetable to cook with, especially if you are baking or roasting them, because they have a very high liquid content. To overcome this you have to salt the aubergines! This essentially means that once you slice the aubergines you sprinkle them with salt and let them rest for about 20 minutes. This time allows the water to be drawn out by the salt, so you can pat it off with a clean paper towel, and this gives you a much crisper bake…after all no one likes soggy aubergine!
Making Low Carb Aubergine Pizza Rolls
These Low Carb Aubergine Pizza Rolls are super simple to make and consist of three main elements – the aubergine slices, the cream cheese and Parmesan filling and the rich tomato sauce! Here’s the recipe…enjoy!
Healthy and gluten free Low Carb Aubergine Pizza Rolls. Syn free on Slimming World using your Healthy Extra A.
20 minPrep Time
15 minCook Time
35 minTotal Time
- 1x Aubergine
- 75g Philadelphia Lightest
- 30g Grated Parmesan
- Handful Chopped Basil
- Pepper (to taste)
- Aprox 20-25 Cherry Tomatoes
- 1x Tinned Chopped Tomatoes
- 200mls Vegetable Stock
- 1tbsp Tomato Puree
- 1x Onion (diced)
- 2x Cloves Garlic (finely chopped/minced)
- Handful Chopped Basil
- Salt & Pepper (to taste)
- Fry Light
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees.
- Slice the aubergine length-ways into 8 slices, about half a centimetre thick each.
- Sprinkle the aubergine slices with salt on both sides and lay them on a large baking tray. Leave them for 20 minutes and then pat the excess water off with a clean paper towel.
- Season with pepper and bake for 15 minutes or until they've started to crisp up. Allow to cool before handling.
- Meanwhile, add the diced onion and garlic to a medium sized sauce pan and fry until softened.
- Add the cherry tomatoes and stir until they begin to break down.
- Add the tinned tomato, basil and the vegetable stock and reduce the heat. Stir regularly until the sauce has begun to thicken.
- Add the tomato puree and stir through until the sauce is rich and thick. Season with salt and pepper.
- In a separate bowl mix the two cheeses together with basil and a crack of pepper. Mix together.
- Once the aubergine slices have cooled, fill each one with a tablespoon of cheese mixture and roll up.
- Add a couple of tablespoons of tomato sauce to the bottom of your baking tray and add the aubergine rolls. Pour in the rest of the sauce around the rolls (not over the top of them). You may have a bit of sauce left over depending on the size and depth of your baking tray.
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper and spray with Fry Light.
- Bake for a further 15 minutes until they begin to go nice and crispy on top.
- Serve hot or cold as the main event or a a side dish! Serves two.
Serves 2. Syn free on Slimming World using your healthy extra A between two people. Syn values correct at time of writing. PLEASE DO NOT SHARE SCREENSHOTS OF THIS RECIPE.
Joyce | Pups with Chopsticks
09/06/2017 at 2:53 pm
Tina Dawson | Love is in my Tummy
09/06/2017 at 2:54 pm
Karen @ Seasonal Cravings
09/06/2017 at 3:11 pm
Edyta/ Innocent Delight
09/06/2017 at 4:05 pm
09/06/2017 at 6:57 pm
12/06/2017 at 6:46 pm
13/06/2017 at 12:46 pm
Buffet aan huis Den Haag
07/08/2017 at 10:09 pm
15/08/2017 at 5:20 pm
25/10/2017 at 7:30 pm
13/11/2017 at 5:20 pm