Slimming World SYN UPDATES (September 2018)
The last few days have been somewhat turbulent for those following Slimming World, with the news that Slimming World has released a number of new updates affecting syn values. Whether you agree with their decisions or believe like many that there may be an ulterior motive behind some of them, it’s still important to update yourself so that you can make the best decisions for yourself. What’s more, it’s not all bad news in the update as they have expanded their free food lists somewhat and added a number of vegan options, making food optimising easier for people following a meat/dairy free lifestyle. This Slimming World syn update has come as a shock for many, with the news about Muller Lights now being a synned food capturing headlines…but here are all of the details of this latest update from SW HQ.
SLIMMING WORLD SYN UPDATE
Key points in this Slimming World Syn Update include:
- Flavoured fat free yogurts now contain a syn value – 175g Muller Light is now 1 syn (check app for other brand syn values)
- New dairy free options added as Healthy Extra options and free food options
- Updates to ‘Free Food’ yogurt options, including:
- Fat-free natural yogurt
- Fat-free natural Greek-style yogurt
- Fat-free natural Greek yogurt and skyr
- Dairy-free soya yogurt, plain and unsweetened, with added calcium
- Fat-free natural fromage frais, fat-free natural cottage cheese and unflavoured quark all remain Free Food
- Instant mashed potato now contains 3.5 syns per 100g (made up) – this will impact the syn values of a number of my recipes and this information will be added in due course
- Tinned pasta (e.g. spaghetti hoops) are now synned
READ THE FULL SLIMMING WORLD SYN UPDATE ON MY FACEBOOK PAGE:
My Thoughts on the Slimming World Syn Update
Whether you decide to stick with the syn values that you have come to know and love, or start counting your Muller Lights in accordance with the new rules, it remains as important as ever to focus on the balance of foods you’re getting in your diet.
Different things aid weight loss for different people and the fact that flavoured yogurts contain sweeteners and often are very high in sugar cannot be ignored, so I always suggest paying attention to the nutritional value of your food rather than just relying on syn values. Find what works for you and stick with it until it doesn’t, and don’t get wrapped up in the conspiracy theories surrounding some of these changes…yes Slimming World is a business and if they come out with their own ‘syn free’ flavoured yogurt soon, then frankly it’s fair enough!
For me, I will continue to count my ‘Smash’ chicken coating as syn free, because frankly it’s a negligible number of calories and I only eat those foods as part of a main meal. However, if I had found that doing so drastically impacted my weight loss I would stop. It’s all about listening to your body and adjusting accordingly!