Crunchy Honey BBQ Chicken Bites (Low Syn Fakeaway)

When I uploaded this recipe to Instagram, the lovely @slimforyourlife commented that she thought it was a cheat meal at first glance, and honestly it felt like it! However, that couldn’t have been further from reality! This whole recipe, which serves two, is just six syns…which makes it just 3 syns per portion!

If you ask me, that’s not half bad for something which tastes like it’s straight out of the kitchen at TGI Fridays! I used Honey BBQ Sauce for this recipe, but you could just use regular BBQ sauce because you’re adding honey anyway!

Serves 2

Crunchy Honey BBQ Chicken Bites

Gloriously naughty tasting and just 3 syns per serving!

10Prep Time

25Cook Time

35Total Time

Save RecipeSave Recipe

• 1 Pack Diced Chicken (or 2 chicken breasts cut into small chunks)
  • 8tbsp Smash
  • 1 Chicken Oxo Cube
  • 1tsp Mild Chilli Powder
  • 1tsp Garlic Powder
  • 2 Eggs
  • 1tbsp Clear Honey
  • 3tbsp BBQ Sauce (any kind)

1. Pre heat your oven to 200 degrees. Spray a baking tray with Fry Light.
  2. Mix together the dry ingredients in a bowl, and whisk the eggs into a separate bowl.
  3. One at a time, dip your chicken pieces into the egg and then into the dry ingredients. Repeat this twice for each piece.
  4. Place the pieces on the baking tray and spray with more Fry Light.
  5. Bake for 25 minutes, turning over after about 20 minutes (or when they are no longer stuck to the bottom of the tray) to help brown on multiple sides.
  6. Meanwhile, mix together your honey and BBQ sauce.
  7. When the chicken is cooked, tip into the honey and BBQ mixture and mix until each piece is coated in sticky mixture.
  8. Serve whilst still hot!

3 syns per serving on Slimming World

7.8.1.1
IMG_7201

Link up your recipe of the week
CookBlogShare

Emma
    17/05/2016 at 6:32 pm actually sounds and looks delicious! interesting use of smash as well! id never have thought to use something like that #cookblogshare
      18/05/2016 at 8:02 am Thanks Emma! Before I started Slimming World I'd never even heard of Smash, but it's ideal for making things like this which feel like their deep fried equivilents without any of the fat! Thanks for commenting :)
    Mandy
    18/05/2016 at 8:04 am Looks great! I know my kids would enjoy these a lot. Also intrigued by the use of Smash! Thanks for sharing with #CookBlogShare X
      18/05/2016 at 8:09 am Thanks Mandy! It's a strangely wonderful ingredient, I use it to make KFC style chicken too and to thicken gravy and sauces instead of flour! If you'd have told me that I'd be using Smash 9 months ago before I joined Slimming World I probably would have laughed though! Loving the link up this week, it's looking fab! x
    Martin @ The Why Chef
    20/05/2016 at 6:24 pm Love this kind of chicken bites, so will book this in for next week! And I'm totally nicking this smash trick! I've already got about 100 dinners I want to try it on :-D
      23/05/2016 at 8:15 am Thanks Martin! It's such a great idea isn't it! Personally I prefer it to breadcrumbs, because with breadcrumbs everything feels like a chicken goujon (which I love) but it doesn't lead to a lot of variety! Let me know how you get on with it :)
    Creative Nibbles & #CookBlogShare May 24-30 - Snap Happy Bakes
    23/05/2016 at 2:00 pm […] Crunchy Honey BBQ Chicken Bites from Basement Bakehouse […]
    Abigail Shaw
    18/07/2016 at 11:24 am Hi Cliona can you tell me what Smash is please?
      18/07/2016 at 1:14 pm Hi Abigail, no problem! It's powdered mashed potato, the instant kind where you add water and it makes mash. I've never used it as mash but it makes an amazing coating when dry! Hope that helps :)
    Kim burch
    10/02/2017 at 9:39 am Hi Cliona. Do I just double the ingredients if I wanted to serve 4 people? Thank you :)
      10/02/2017 at 9:41 am Hi Kim, yes absolutely 😊
    Sarah
    06/03/2017 at 6:10 am I can't find the method of making this?
      08/03/2017 at 4:23 pm Hi Sarah, so sorry there was a glitch with my website and my recipe cards all went down! They're up now though so the recipe is visible again. Thanks for alerting me to the issue!
    Alyna
    06/03/2017 at 10:13 am Hi, how do I get the recipe it just gives me the ingredients!! 😢
      08/03/2017 at 4:23 pm Hi Alyna, so sorry there was a glitch with my website and my recipe cards all went down! They're up now though so the recipe is visible again. Thanks for alerting me to the issue!
    Jo
    25/03/2017 at 2:27 pm This looks yummy, will try this tonight but before I do how much of this is a serving please?
      27/03/2017 at 2:27 pm This serves 3 people :)
    Jenni
    29/04/2017 at 5:30 pm I only have chicken knorr stock cubes u think if I mixed that with the egg I will still flavour? Wanted to make this tonight
      02/05/2017 at 11:51 am Hi Jenni, that would work perfectly if you just crush them up first :)
    Nikki
    20/05/2017 at 4:20 pm Hello just wanted to know if you can mix a different sauce say tomato sauce for instance, instead of BBQ. Thanks I love this chicken.
      23/05/2017 at 10:40 am Hi Nikki, absolutely! You could do this with many different sauces.
    becky
    12/06/2017 at 9:42 pm Hi if you used slimming world syn free BBQ sauce would this work out at less syns??
      13/06/2017 at 12:46 pm Hi Becky, absolutely! If you used a syn free BBQ sauce recipe you would only have to syn the honey :)
    Emma
    27/01/2018 at 5:16 pm Hi, I'm planning on making this tonight but only have garlic salt. Could I use this instead of garlic powder or will it be too salty? Thanks
      29/01/2018 at 11:17 am Hi Emma, that might make it a bit salty but you could always mix in a bit of fresh garlic instead!
    Christina
    12/05/2018 at 9:46 am I loved making these so much! I record with Lose It and just wondered what the calories per serving was, thank you! I love your site!