This recipe is all about being simple, easy and syn free…something that you can whip up in under half an hour and will still taste sensational! With minimal effort on your part, you’ll put an end to any takeaway cravings with this beautiful ‘Fakeaway’, helping you stay on plan!
I love noodle soup, and one of my favourite things about Slimming World is that dried noodles are syn free which means I eat it a lot, and Udon soup is (in my opinion) the best kind of noodles soup out there! This is a ‘cheats’ recipe, because traditional Udon can take a lot of time and love, but you get all the same flavours and textures in this soup, with a lot less effort! Garnish with some chopped chilli for added spice, and fresh spring onions for that clean crisp taste, and you’ve got yourself a restaurant quality dish in less than half an hour…ideal!
One of the reasons I call this a ‘cheats’ dish is that I use pre-chopped stir fry veg, drastically reducing the effort needed and boosting the speed foods in the soup at the same time! If you haven’t used stir fry veg in soup before, trust me you’re missing out. The key thing to remember though is that you still want a bit of bite to the veg so to stir fry them until just before they’re done and then add them to the soup at the last minute. This adds to the texture of the soup, and helps distinguish the different veg to make it a truly multi-dimensional dish. One of the other things I love about this recipe is how much flavour you can pack into the broth in such a short amount of time. By giving it half an hour to simmer with the chilli, ginger, garlic, spring onions, stock and soy sauce, you beef up all of the flavours no end! This is a go to mid-week ‘Fakeaway’ for me and it always goes down a storm…give it a go and you won’t be disappointed!
You can pick up 5kg of chicken breasts from Muscle Foods for £25 here. They’re the only chicken breasts I use, as they’re twice the size of regular chicken breasts so I only need to use one for this dish which makes cooking so much cheaper. 5kg of Muscle Foods chicken breasts is the equivalent to buying 40 supermarket sized (125g) chicken breasts, which would be a whole lot more than £25! They’re also not pumped with water and preservatives, unlike a lot of chicken out there, which means you’re eating 100% pure lean chicken and that’s a very good thing. I get a Muscle Foods order every month, portion it out and freeze it to use every day. If you want to try something other than the chicken, you can always pick up my exclusive Muscle Foods deal here, which has everything from steak and mince to chicken and sausages! For all of the syn values see here.
A delicious syn free udon soup, ready in under 30 minutes! Perfect for quick mid-week dinners!
- 160g Dried Udon Noodles
- 1x Sliced Muscle Foods Chicken Breast (or two regular store sized chicken breasts)
- 1x Pack Pre-Chopped Stir Fry Vegetables with Beansprouts
- 4x Spring Onions (finely chopped - plus extra for garnish)
- 1x Red Chilli (seeds removed & chopped very small - plus extra sliced chilli for garnish)
- 2x Garlic Cloves (crushed)
- 2cm x 2cm Piece Ginger (finely chopped)
- 2x Chicken Stock Cubes
- 1.5 - 2 Pints Boiling Water
- 3tbsp Soy Sauce
- Fry Light
- In a medium sauce pan, fry the spring onions, garlic, ginger and chilli with Fry Light over a high heat for 2 minutes.
- Pour in the boiling water and add the chicken stock and 2 table spoons of soy sauce. Stir and reduce heat. Cover and leave to simmer for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, fry the chicken breast strips with a tablespoon of soy sauce. When it's almost done, add the stir fry veg and cook until the vegetables are done but retain a bit of bite to them. Set aside.
- When the broth has been simmering for 20 minutes, add the Udon noodles and cook for a further five minutes or until the noodles are cooked.
- Tip the chicken and veg into the broth and stir together.
- Serve garnished with extra spring onion and chilli.
Syn free on Slimming World.