Syn Free Slimming Vegetable Soup
Soup is fantastic for weight loss, because you can pack a whole lot of good, fibre-filled and low calorie food into something that’s going to keep you full for a long time. It gets even better when you’re on Slimming World, because you can pack it full of delicious speed foods to help boost your weight loss, ideal for an SP day or just for those days where you want to keep the carbs down and up the veg! This soup is made from speed foods and as such is perfect for either occasion, and it is of course totally syn free!
After Christmas and New Year I was very much in the mood to get 100% back on the wagon…after all a 7.5llb gain on the scales can’t be ignored! I made this soup last Sunday before going back to work after a very lovely long break. I have since had it for lunch every single day at work and it has made me feel fantastic! Not only does it mean I’m saving a huge amount of money on expensive lunches but it has made me feel less bloated, more alert and generally more healthy…don’t you just LOVE meal prep! I was given this rather wonderful soup flask for Christmas and it’s been one of my most used gifts so far! It’s from Box Appetit and you can get it on Amazon where they have an amazing range of lunch boxes and flasks (you can find them here). I’m not sure that at the age of 23 I should have been quite so surprised that my soup was still boiling hot at lunch time, but I found it pretty incredible! I know that’s the whole point of the flask, but I must be easily impressed… 😉
Meal prep is something I’m really trying to get into this year because if I’ve got stuff in the fridge I’m never tempted to give in to the temptation of the sandwich or sushi shop! Not only is this important for staying on track for a great weight loss but it’s also important for saving money, another big goal of mine this year. For once in my life I’m sticking to a strict budget…one which does not allow for extravagant lunch time purchases! This week I meal prepped this soup, making enough for 12 portions (at least!), as well as a batch of my Syn Free Sushi and a small gammon joint to slice up for breakfast along side some hard boiled eggs. It hasn’t lead to a huge amount of variety for breakfast and lunch this week, however it has meant I’ve stayed on plan every single day so far, something I haven’t done in what feels like forever! I also picked up some adorable snack containers (in the picture below) from Tiger which recently opened just around the corner from work. All four were just £5 and they fit together like a babushka doll, so if you’ve got a Tiger near you I’d really recommend picking one up!
As you can see, I meal prepped a huge amount of soup, and it will last me well in to next week which is great! I froze it in bags which do me two days worth of lunches and do my other half, who has also had it for lunch every day this week, one day because his flask is a litre whereas mine is 400mls. The resealable bags went in the freezer and the glass jug did us a couple of days in the fridge. My top tip is to seal the bags with as little air in as possible, allowing for the soup to sit flat when placed upright. That way you can stack them on top of each other in the freezer without having to worry about them falling over or spilling!
This soup is wonderful whether you’re meal prepping or just cooking it for a family meal. It’s full of a number of great speed foods, which means it’s also full of fantastic vitamins and tonnes of fibre! You can top it with your HexA of cheese and accompany it with your HexB wholemeal bread if you want, but it is really filling on its own too. I’ve included two different quantities in my ingredients list below, one to meal prep as I did and one to cook half the amount which should do for a good family meal and maybe a bit leftover!
Syn free speedy vegetable soup, great for slimming and perfect for meal prep!
10 minPrep Time
45 minCook Time
55 minTotal Time
- Fry Light
- 3x Onions (diced)
- 2x Broccoli
- 260g Fresh Spinach (large bag)
- 5x Large Carrots
- 4x Peppers (any colour)
- 6x Tomatoes (quartered)
- 2tsp Garlic (finely chopped)
- 5 Pints Vegetable Stock
- 2tbsp Mixed Herbs
- Salt & Pepper (to taste)
- Fry Light
- 1x Onions (diced)
- 1x Broccoli
- 180g Fresh Spinach (large bag)
- 3x Large Carrots
- 2x Peppers (any colour)
- 3x Tomatoes (quartered)
- 1tsp Garlic (finely chopped)
- 3 Pints Vegetable Stock
- 1tbsp Mixed Herbs
- Salt & Pepper (to taste)
- Spray the bottom of a very large saucepan (smaller if making a smaller quantity) with Fry Light and add the onions and garlic. Fry until softened.
- Add the carrots and stir over the heat for a few minutes. Add the broccoli, tomatoes and peppers and continue to stir for another few minutes.
- Pour over the stock and then add the spinach. The stock should just cover the vegetables once everything is stirred together, if it doesn't just add more until it does.
- Add the herbs and salt & pepper and stir in.
- Cover and leave on a high heat until it begins to boil, then reduce the heat and leave to simmer for 35 minutes.
- When all of the veg is nice and soft, remove from the heat and leave to cool slightly so it's no longer boiling.
- Carefully with a hand blender, or in a food processor if you can transfer it in batches, blend the vegetables until smooth. Taste and season as desired.
- If having there and then, serve immediately, if not leave it to cool and then transfer into freezer safe bags or tubs to enjoy another day.
Totally syn free on Slimming World. Suitable for Easy Extra SP.