I am all about Christmas baking right now! Specifically, about looking for ways to make classic Christmas recipes more Slimming World friendly without compromising on their taste or quality. Not an easy task that’s for sure, but it’s definitely something I’ve accomplished with these Low Syn Mini Christmas Cakes. They’re a fantastic option for Slimming World taster evenings (trust me they’ll knock people’s socks off!) or for on Christmas day itself when you’re trying to rein in your syns wherever possible!
A Low Syn Christmas Bake
Christmas cake is an unavoidable part of Christmas, but traditional Christmas cake recipes will run you into the tens of syns per slice! At a time of year when it’s hard enough to stay even remotely on plan, it’s important to plan in some healthier options to take when you can. That’s where these Low Syn Mini Christmas Cakes come in! They’re low syn but still pack all the punch and flavour of a traditional Christmas cake…including the booze!
Another big plus of these joyful little cakes, is that they are much quicker to cook than your traditional Christmas cake. Because they aren’t as packed as a standard fruit cake, they don’t need that long slow bake. They meet somewhere in the middle between a fruit cake and a cupcake, retaining the heavier texture and rich flavour of a Christmas cake whilst offering a lower syn option! The syn value for these Low Syn Mini Christmas Cakes breaks down as follows:
100g Mixed Dried Fruit – 14 syns
75g Almond Flour – 9.5 syns (I’ve used Sukrin Almond Flour, but please make sure to check the syns of the brand that you use)
1/2tsp Baking Powder – 1/2 syn
3tbsp Black Treacle – 6 syns
50ml Whiskey – 6 syns (please make sure to check the syns of the individual brand that you use)
4tbsp Sukrin :1 Sweetener – 2 syns (see below for sweetener information)
4x Eggs – syn free
2tsp Ground Ginger – syn free
2tsp Ground Sweet Cinnamon – syn free
1tsp Ground Cloves – syn free
1tsp Ground Nutmeg – syn free
1tsp Lemon Zest – syn free
25g Icing Sugar – 5 syns
Water – syn free
This adds up to make 43 syns for all of these Low Syn Mini Christmas Cakes. The recipe makes 12 cakes (in a 12 case muffin tin, like these on Amazon) which divides down to make these beautiful Low Syn Mini Christmas Cakes just 3.5 syns each! That’s not bad at all for a little slice of Christmas!
Each of these cakes is topped with around half a teaspoon of icing, which isn’t much at all but really helps add that extra sweetness you’re looking for with your Christmas cake! What’s more, making it with almond flour gives you the texture and flavour that you expect from a Christmas cake, and it goes without saying that the hit of whiskey in the mix really adds that festive kick!
There are a lot of different sweetener brands out there, but I tend to use Sukrin for a number of reasons. Firstly, their Sukrin:1 Granulated Sweetener can be substituted 1:1 in place of normal sugar. This means it works in exactly the same way and you don’t have to adjust the recipes you’re using. It is also much more like regular sugar than other sweeteners in terms of its texture and the way it cooks! If you are using a different powdered or granulated sweetener then you may just need to adjust this recipe for the sweetness of the recipe.
I love seeing when people make my recipes! So if you do whip up a batch of these Low Syn Mini Christmas Cakes you can email it to me or share it on Facebook and Instagram tagging @basementbakehouse on Facebook or @basementbakehouse_sw on Instagram! You can also share it in my Facebook group too, you can join here if you haven’t already.
Making Low Syn Mini Christmas Cakes
These are super quick and simple to make and totally on plan if you’re following Slimming World! If you aren’t into alcohol or looking to reduce the syns somewhat, you can easily substitute the whiskey for orange juice instead and just adjust the syns based on the brand of juice you’re using. I am famous for my super boozy Christmas cakes, so I had to include it in these!
Delicious low syn Slimming World Christmas Cakes.
15 minPrep Time
15 minCook Time
30 minTotal Time
- 100g Mixed Dried Fruit - 14 syns
- 75g Almond Flour - 9.5 syns (I've used Sukrin Almond Flour, but please make sure to check the syns of the brand that you use)
- 1/2tsp Baking Powder - 1/2 syn
- 3tbsp Black Treacle - 6 syns
- 50ml Whiskey - 6 syns (please make sure to check the syns of the individual brand that you use)
- 4tbsp Sukrin :1 Sweetener - 2 syns
- 3x Eggs
- 2tsp Ground Ginger
- 2tsp Ground Sweet Cinnamon
- 1tsp Ground Cloves
- 1tsp Ground Nutmeg
- 1tsp Lemon Zest
- 25g Icing Sugar - 5 syns
- Water (enough to mix the icing sugar)
- Add the dried fruit and whiskey to a small saucepan and bring to the boil over a low heat. Remove from the heat as soon as it has boiled and let sit for 10 minutes to allow some of the fruit to soak in some whiskey.
- In a large mixing bowl or stand mixer, combine the flour, sweetener, baking soda and spices.
- Add the treacle and eggs and whisk until smooth.
- Stir through the fruit and whiskey until combined.
- Divide equally into a 12 hole baking tray so that they are about half full.
- Bake for 15 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean when poked into the middle.
- Let cool for 10 minutes and then remove to cool completely.
- Mix your icing with a little bit of water, being careful not to add too much water or it will be over runny.
- Spoon a little bit of icing onto each cake when they are completely cooled and dust with cinnamon if desired.
3.5 syns per cupcake. Makes 12. Syn values correct at time of writing, however if you are unsure please check the syns via Slimming World's official resources. Please do not screenshot this recipe.
DON’T FORGET TO PIN THIS RECIPE FOR LOW SYN MINI CHRISTMAS CAKES FOR LATER!