Pasta is wonderful and can be the basis of so many delicious meals. It’s one of my ultimate comfort foods, and I’ve always loved the idea of making it myself. I did try my hand a little whole ago but lacked the patience and equipment to do it really well. So this post is a bit of a do over of that, and so that end I have kept it quite similar! You can of course make pasta by hand rolling the dough, but I was lucky enough to get a proper pasta machine for Christmas so I can now perfectly roll and cut my own pasta. In the months to come I’m sure I’ll be posting lots of variations on this, but for now here’s the recipe for simple pasta dough.
It was smooth, tasty and I served it with a fresh tomato, chilli and basil sauce with chicken (similar to before)
which I also made myself. It was truly homemade, Italian inspired meal and got a big thumbs up from everyone!
Silky smooth pasta made from the comfort of your own home!
- 3 Eggs
- 1 Egg Yolk
- 2 tbsp Warm Water
- 1 Small Onion (finely chopped)
- 2 Bulbs of Garlic (finely chopped)
- 2 Red Chillis (finely chopped)
- 1 Pack of Cherry Tomatoes (halved)
- 3 Large Vine Tomatoes (roughly chopped)
- 100ml Vegetable Stock
- 2 tbsp Tomato Puree
- Handful of Basil (roughly chopped)
- 4 Chicken Breasts (diced)
- Crack your eggs into the centre of the flour, and add the egg yolk and water.
- Using a fork whisk the flour and the eggs together starting from the inside out, and making sure to always keep flour around the eggs (this makes sure that you don't run out of liquid).
- When most of the flour has been loosely incorporated into the egg to form a sticky mix, tip it out onto a lightly floured surface and knead the mixture until it is smooth and small air bubbles can be seen on the surface.
- Form the dough into a smooth ball, and wrap it in cling film. Leave your dough to rest in the fridge for at least 30 minutes. Use this time to make your sauce.
- Divide your dough into 4 sections, and follow the manufacturers instructions on your pasta machine to create long thin strips of pasta dough.
- Cut your pasta into your preferred shapes, and the cook for 3-5 minutes.
- Add the stock, and basil and simmer over a low heat.
- Cook the chicken in a separate pan and set to one side.
- Serve over your homemade pasta with a sprinkling of ground black pepper and a few basil leaves!
Homemade pasta is free on Slimming World as long as you don't use oil in the process!