Syn Free Loaded Mashed Potato is the ultimate Slimming World side for any comfort food dinner! Creamy mashed potato, filled and topped with crispy bacon and delicious melted cheese…what’s not to love?
As far as Slimming World side dishes go, this Syn Free Loaded Mashed Potato is about as naughty feeling as they come! You’d never guess that it’s totally syn free, with no butter used in the mash. Simply count the cheese as one of your two Healthy Extra A options for the day, and you can serve this dish up with just about anything.
Syn Free Loaded Mashed Potato – A Slimming World Side Dish
On Slimming World, you are allowed two Healthy Extra A servings every single day (more if you’re pregnant or breastfeeding!) and so Syn Free Loaded Mashed Potato can be enjoyed without using up your full allowance.
So, you can plan this in for dinner and still enjoy milk in your tea, or with your cereal for breakfast. This didn’t used to be the case, as in previous years you could only enjoy one Healthy Extra A choice. Now though, you don’t need to choose and can still get your cheesy fix with recipes like this!
This recipe also contains plenty of crispy bacon! I’ve made to sure to cut off all extra fat from the bacon I used, making sure that it remains syn free. You can even buy lean bacon medallions where they’ve done the work for you. Either way, make sure you’re using bacon with no fat around the edges to keep this recipe syn free.
Making Syn Free Loaded Mashed Potato – Step by Step
What comes to mind when you think of mashed potato? Probably lashings of butter and milk, right?! Well…what if I told you that didn’t need to be the case! You can make a delicious, super creamy mash without any butter at all – keeping it totally syn free.
To do this you crack a raw egg into the piping hot mashed potato and quickly mash it in. This might sound strange, but it works in a similar way to creating a syn free carbonara sauce! The heat from the potato gradually cooks the egg and instead of going hard like in a scrambled egg, it creates a super creamy mash instead.
I have also included a splash of milk in the recipe for this Syn Free Loaded Mashed Potato. Whilst this isn’t strictly necessary when making Syn Free Mash on its own, I find it just helps give that extra level of creaminess to this potato – particularly as it is baked in the oven after mashing! This dash of milk is combined with the cheese in your Healthy Extra serving as I have taken 10g of cheese away to allow for it.
Peel and slice about 8 large Maris Piper potatoes and place them in a saucepan of hot water.
Bring to the boil over high heat and then allow to simmer until the potatoes are soft and fluffy.
Meanwhile, cut your bacon into small pieces and fry until crispy.
When the potatoes are cooked through, drain the water and put the potatoes back in the saucepan.
Mash until smooth and then add salt (to your taste), the raw egg and splash of milk.
Immediately mash the egg into the potatoes until they are super creamy.
Add half of the Red Leicester and Cheddar cheese along with the bacon and a tablespoon of fresh chopped chives. Stir until combined.
Tip the mashed potato into a deep baking dish (I’ve used a lasagne dish like these – affiliate link) and smooth them out before topping with the rest of the cheese and bacon.
Bake in the oven for 20 minutes, or until the cheese is totally melted and the edge of the potatoes begin to catch slightly.
I love seeing when people make my recipes! So if you do make this recipe for Syn Free Loaded Mashed Potato then you can email it to me or share it on Facebook and Instagram tagging @basementbakehouse on Facebook or @basementbakehouse_sw on Instagram! I’d also love it if you shared your baking in my Facebook group too, you can join here if you haven’t already.
Syn Free Loaded Mashed Potato Recipe
I hope you find this recipe as satisfying and delicious as I do! It really is proper Slimming World comfort food without any guilt and would go perfectly with any number of different dishes. You could pair it with chicken, beef or just veggies and it would more than do the job!
Yields 1 Loaded Mashed Potato
Serves Serves 8
A creamy, delicious and totally SYN FREE Loaded Mashed Potato recipe for Slimming World!
10 minPrep Time
20 minCook Time
30 minTotal Time
5 based on 5 review(s)
- 8x Maris Piper Potatoes
- 1x Egg
- Spash semi-skimmed milk
- 150g Grated Cheddar Cheese (4x HexA minus 10g to allow for milk)
- 120g Grated Red Leicester Cheese (4x HexA)
- 8 Rashers Lean Bacon (visible fat removed)
- 2tbsp Fresh Chopped Chives
- Salt & Pepper (to taste)
- Preheat your oven to 180 degrees.
- Peel and slice about 8 large Maris Piper potatoes and place them in a saucepan of hot water.
- Bring to the boil over high heat and then allow to simmer until the potatoes are soft and fluffy.
- Meanwhile, cut your bacon into small pieces and fry until crispy.
- When the potatoes are cooked through, drain the water and put the potatoes back in the saucepan.
- Mash until smooth and then add salt (to your taste), the raw egg and splash of milk.
- Immediately mash the egg into the potatoes until they are super creamy.
- Add half of the Red Leicester and Cheddar cheese along with the bacon and a tablespoon of fresh chopped chives. Stir until combined.
- Tip the mashed potato into a deep baking dish (I've used a lasagne dish like these - affiliate link) and smooth them out before topping with the rest of the cheese and bacon.
- Bake in the oven for 20 minutes, or until the cheese is totally melted and the edge of the potatoes begin to catch slightly.
- Garnish with a crack of salt and pepper, and the rest of the chives.
Syn free using ONE Healthy Extra A portion per serving.
Contains 8 Healthy Extra A portions.
Syn values correct at time of writing.
Please do not screenshot this recipe - syn values may change in the future.
I am not affiliated with Slimming World in any way and am not a Slimming World consultant.