Easy Extra SP Explained

Slimming World Easy Extra SP

The Slimming World plan is a dream for anyone like me, who loves food and more specifically loves eating food! It’s a non restrictive healthy eating plan, not a diet. You don’t cut out any food group in the Easy Extra plan, and you get to eat chocolate, crisps, sweets, fizzy drinks and whatever else you like….just in moderation and within your syn allowance.

I’m very lucky because I’ve been blessed with a fantastic Slimming World consultant, who supports and advises us whenever we need help, and has supplied us with everything we need to know in order to achieve amazing weight loss. I know that there are a lot of people who do Slimming World from home, and even some who aren’t quite as lucky with their Slimming World group as I am, and recently I’ve had quite a few people ask me about the Easy Extra SP plan and how it works.

I therefore wanted to set out what exactly doing ‘SP’ means, how it can help, and a few key recipe ideas which have really helped me when I’ve followed the plan. Before I do so though, it’s really important to say that the Easy Extra SP plan is not meant to be followed as your everyday Slimming World plan, instead it’s to help give your weight loss a little kick up the bum, or speed things up for a special occasion for example. The regular Easy Extra plan works a dream, and to maintain long term weight loss is the best thing for you. So on that note, here’s a few details…

What is Slimming World Easy Extra SP?

It’s quite straightforward really, and is centred around the principle that you fill your plate only with S and P foods (speed and protein). So that means no potatoes, rice, pasta, Muller Lights, or other regular free foods that you might have at meal times. Given that there are so many S and P foods to choose from though, this doesn’t by any means limit you to munching on rabbit food and chicken! If you’re not sure which foods are S and P, they’re marked really clearly in your Slimming World book, and there’s loads of lists online too.

The second principle is that you STILL have your 5-15 syns every day. You don’t cut those out, so continue eating your chocolate and drinking your wine, or cooking with oil and enjoying salad dressings if that’s how you chose to use your syns. You do not deprive your body of sugar, or any of the fun stuff, because if you did then the minute you switched back to the regular plan you’d put weight back on! Remember though, that you can’t just decide to eat regular free foods and syn them, as you won’t have the correct syn values and it kind of defeats the point!

The third principle is that you have your Healthy Extra A option every day, and here’s the kicker, you have TWO Healthy Extra B choices! How great is that? It means that even though you’ve cut out the pasta and potatoes from your diet for a few days, you could have four slices of bread, or toast and oats, or two HiFi Bars and eat a HexB Pizza at the end of the day! More importantly what it means is that you are definitely NOT cutting carbs out from your diet. From what I’ve seen this is a big misconception with SP, that you essentially cut carbs, and that’s not the case. Slimming World never asks you to cut a food group out of your diet, ever!

Hopefully this diagram helps explain it at the very basic level!

Slimming World Easy Extra SP

When should I do Easy Extra SP?

This isn’t one I can give you a definite answer for, as it’s completely up for you. I can say that SP works very well for speeding up your weight loss in time for a special occasion, for example a wedding or birthday, or to give yourself a little bit of a weight loss buffer before a big event like Christmas! It’s also great if you’ve found your weight loss slowing down, like I have recently, to help kick start things again. What I find personally is that if I feel myself getting complacent, a couple of SP days can really help to focus my mind on the ‘rules’ of Slimming World, but that might just be me.

How long should I do Easy Extra SP for?

This is again quite a personal one, it does boil down to how much you want to lose and how quickly you want to do so, but I would advise not to do it for more than a week at a time. Because Slimming World is so easy to follow, and you can eat almost everything you’d normally eat anyway, you generally don’t feel like you’re on a ‘diet’, making it easy to resist temptation. I think that being on SP does feel more restrictive, and psychologically if you’re anything like me when you think you’re on a diet all your brain tells you to do is eat crap! The longer you go without something you want the more likely you are to cave to it, and if you do that then it could lead to eating other foods outside of your syn allowance. So only do it for as long as you feel comfortable denying yourself certain foods!

Does Easy Extra SP work?

As always I can only talk from personal experience and observation, but as a general rule I’d say yes. It doesn’t work for everyone, some people find it to restrictive and end up snacking too much and consuming too many calories elsewhere, which can even lead them to put on weight. Some people simply don’t like it and feel that it defeats the point of a long term lifestyle change. I’ve done it where it worked, and done it where my willpower just hasn’t been up to the challenge, but it is definitely something to try if you find your weight loss slowing down a little bit. If it works then you’ve found a way to give yourself a little boost every so often, if it doesn’t then you’ve not lost anything by trying!

Easy Extra SP Meals

Here are a few of my SP meal options, but there’s so many others out there so have a Google when you’re done here and see what you come up with! What’s more, most meals you eat regularly can be adapted to be SP. For example eating bolognese with corgetti spaghetti, or simply replacing your regular pasta or potatoes with speed veg!

Syn Free HexB Pizza – you can use this as one of your HexB options and your HexA choice and top it with plenty of S and P foods. If you use my Syn Free Pizza Sauce too then that has even more added speed!

Slimming World Tomato and Rocket Salsa with Chicken – this is one of my favourite meals! Totally SP and totally delicious!

Chilli & Paprika Carrot Chips – I made these when I was doing an SP week recently, and they were a life saver! If you fancy chips but can’t eat potatoes or even sweet potatoes becuase you’re on an SP plan then these are wonderful!

Smoked Salmon and Chive Parcels – quark is a P food, so you can eat these tasty salmon parcels no problem!

A few things to help you on your Slimming World journey…

Seven Day Meal Plan – Basement Bakehouse
    22/04/2016 at 11:51 am […] and potatoes and take out one of the HexB options …if you’re not sure about SP then this guide might help […]
    Ultimate SP BBQ Chicken Burger – Basement Bakehouse
    09/06/2016 at 3:00 pm […] being said, the whole point of SP is that it is slightly more restrictive (if you’re not up to speed on what it’s all about read my handy guide on Easy Extra SP Ex…). So I’ll always aim to keep you supplied with SP meals now and again, to help you keep it […]
    Seven Reasons You Might Not Be Losing Weight – Basement Bakehouse
    03/08/2016 at 3:49 pm […] a few things you can do to get things going again, including trying a few SP days (read about them here), or upping the exercise you’re doing…an extra couple of thousand steps or half an hour […]
    Vegan Slimming World - Progress Update 1 - The Diminishing Vegan
    03/12/2016 at 6:11 am […] You can eat limited free food, but they do say this will affect the SP plan, so aim to stick to S, or P. You also get your standard one Healthy Extra A but you get two Healthy Extra B’s! I’m enjoying the flexibility to have porridge/more bread. Additionally you have your standard 5 – 15 syns. This picture below illustrates how your plate should be looking, image source. […]
    Easy Peasy 30 Minute Cauliflower Pizza – Basement Bakehouse
    30/12/2016 at 12:28 pm […] This recipe is ideal for SP days, where you just eat speed and protein (along with your Healthy Extra A and two Healthy Extra B choices) because it’s a filling and above all satisfying choice! Don’t feel like you need to eat rabbit food all day when you’re doing SP, because you’ll likely get hungry and bored and that’s a recipe for failure. Keep your food choices interesting and filling and you’ll have a much better chance at an even better weight loss at your next weigh in! If you’re not sure what SP is, or need a refresher about how it all works you can read my guide to SP here.  […]
    How Slimming World Works – Basement Bakehouse
    05/01/2017 at 1:15 pm […] Easy Extra SP is an additional plan on Slimming World, to help boost weight loss even further. It’s great if you’ve got an event or holiday coming up and you just want to shift an extra few pounds beforehand, or if you find your weight loss slowing down to give you a kick start. It is not recommended for anyone who has been doing Slimming World for less than a month as you need to get your head around the general plan first, but it can be a great resource! I cover all of the details of Easy Extra SP here.  […]
    Kate Morgan
    18/01/2017 at 9:51 pm Ooops just tried to sign up but missed a letter out of my email address! It is below! Could you email, if poss, this SP guide it's really well explained! Thank you x
    Maggie bungay
    07/02/2017 at 12:18 pm What wraps are syn free or low syn
      07/02/2017 at 12:19 pm Hi Maggie, you can have some of the weight watchers high fibre ones for your Healthy Extra Bs 😊
    Emma Gray
    09/02/2017 at 3:03 pm HI Cliona Love your blog! Quick question about SWSP: I'm a long term SW fan who has had major success so far, but now I'm living out of the UK and haven't been to a group in a long time, SP is a new concept to me. Can I do SP days in an ordinary extra easy week, or is it an SP week or an EE week? Hope this makes sense, keep up the good work, I'm glad I stumbled on to this page! Best wishes Emma x
      10/02/2017 at 1:02 pm Hi Emma, sorry it has taken me a little bit to get back to you! You can absolutely mix SP days in with regular EE days on Slimming World. Personally I find it too much to do a whole week of SP so tend to do a couple of days to help boost my week. Hope that helps! Really glad you enjoy my blog :) x
    Sonia
    18/02/2017 at 5:30 pm I'm a bit confused! I did 4 days of sp easy. I was very strict and I put on a pound. Admittedly my monthly came on the day of weigh in. What did I do wrong?
      21/02/2017 at 10:23 am Hi Sonia, your cycle does have a huge effect on your weight loss and can cause water retention and bloating which really does make a difference with weight loss. SP doesn't necessarily work straight away and you can sometimes see a result a week or so after, so just keep going and I'm sure you'll see a difference. SP doesn't necessarily work for everyone though, some people just need more carbs in their diet to lose weight! Make sure you're eating enough when you're doing it and ensure you're having both your Healthy Extra B choices as that can help give you the carbs and the fibre you need! Hope that helps, well done for committing to your weight loss :)
    Edith
    07/03/2017 at 2:48 pm If muller yogurt are free why can't they be ate on sp day just going to try doing sp for the first time
      08/03/2017 at 4:21 pm Hi Edith, on SP days you have to eat foods which are designated as either 'Speed' or 'Protein' on Slimming World, plus your Healthy Extras. As yogurts aren't either speed or protein you can't include them in the plan on an SP day. I hope that helps!
    Rhian
    12/03/2017 at 12:26 pm Hi. I am such a fussy eater so find SP days so hard. I usually have poached egg on toast for lunch. Can I add the S by having a fresh fruit meddley after my poached egg on toast? Or does it have to be part of the meal? Not sure what I can put with poached egg on toast lol 😁
      13/03/2017 at 1:03 pm The idea of SP is to have half of your meal as speed, however if you're using your Healthy Extra B I know it can be hard to do that! What you don't want to do is eat unnecessary calories just because you feel like you need to eat more speed. You can try adding some cucumber or tomatoes if you like them alongside your poached eggs, but if you don't want to just make sure to have plenty of speed at your other meals!
    PATRICIA KELLY
    16/03/2017 at 10:31 am Feeling totally confused. Can I have Aldi FF Banana & Custard Yogurts, 1/2 Syn, (or similar, if the are Syned) for my 5-15 daily Syns? Surely, if I can have chocolate, wine and sweets, for my daily Syns, the yogurt would be better. I love my desserts and am happy with speed fruit and yogurt on my SP days. Please help. xx
      17/03/2017 at 1:21 pm Hi Patricia, unfortuantely you can't have yogurt even if it's a synned variety as it won't be accounting the full amount of syns that you'd need to count and there's no way of working it out. It's best to stick to foods which stick within the SP framework or are fully synned. Hope that helps!
    Tina
    27/03/2017 at 11:30 am Do you have to use all your syns in 1 day or can you save them for a night out
      27/03/2017 at 2:22 pm You can save them if there's a special occasion, many people do this a lot but Slimming World don't advise doing it regularly. Instead they suggest being flexible with your syns, still ensuring that you have some syns every day and counting your syns but not beating yourself up if you go over! You can find more info about Flexi Syns on the Slimming World website if that helps!
    Jules Hickmott
    26/04/2017 at 7:35 pm Thank u! - you really helped explain SP on slimming world which I need to do to boost my weight loss - your menu ideas really helpful - quick question: could I have 2 slices bread & 1 hi fi bar as HEX b ? & then if i wanted another sw hi fi bar later on , syn it? Thanks Jules
    Jules Hickmott
    26/04/2017 at 8:26 pm Really love your blog! Found you by accident! & glad I did! Your SW recipes are so nice- & i love how you highlight things in your blog & with a click it takes you to the recipe you need - so helpful - love the hunters chicken cant wait to make it as its my favourite 'pub recipe' but havnt had it since joining SW last January & i have lost 2 stone 3 1lb and still homout to eat - I just make better choices , but if i can have things like SW hunters chicken at home well its a win win!!! Thanks again ! Your information Is so easy to read and follow & interesting! Regards Jules
    barbaragardner99@gmail.com
    27/04/2017 at 7:20 am 2 small glass wine on specific?? Syns please thankyou
      27/04/2017 at 2:43 pm Hi Barbara, it would depend on the kind of wine you're drinking but the syns would be the same on both SP and the regular Easy Extra plan :)
    Susannah
    27/04/2017 at 12:39 pm Hi just start slimming world I was just wondering how do I work out syn with point can some explain it say if h eat pizza what the syn and point
      27/04/2017 at 2:43 pm Hi Susannah, you can find the syns for specific items on the Slimming World app or website and if it isn't on there you can use Slimming World's syn calculator to work things out. If there is no free food in the thing you're eating, you can use the 20kcal = 1 syn rule, however this only works for things like sweets, chocolate or crisps. Hope that helps! Good luck on your journey!
    ANN HIGGINS
    11/05/2017 at 8:29 am can you have free fizzy drinks on SP
      14/05/2017 at 7:02 pm HI Ann, you can have fizzy drinks on SP.
    sue
    12/06/2017 at 1:53 pm hi...sorry im confused .... i have yoghurt as my hea in my porridge ,,,you say you can have your normal hea and 2 heb when on SP...so why cant i have my hea yoghurt ?
      13/06/2017 at 12:48 pm Hi Sue, lovely to hear from you. Yogurt's aren't used as your HeA, they are simply either synned or syn free. On SP days you can only have either Speed Food, Protein Foods, Healthy Extras or your 5-15 syns. You aren't allowed yogurt, even if it's synned, as you won't be able to syn the full amount as they have free food content. Hope that helps clear it up!
    Lynn Hird
    29/06/2017 at 10:50 am Am trying S P for first time ,, I didn't think you could have bread . But have I got that wrong !!!
      01/07/2017 at 10:17 am you can if it is your HexB :)
    Alison
    30/06/2017 at 6:58 am Hi can I have Iceland slimming world burgers or sauces on sp ? X
      30/06/2017 at 5:49 pm Any of the Iceland meals which are suitable for SP are marked on the packaging :) if you double check the sausages and burgers it'll tell you! From memory you can but I'd double check first :)
    Lynn Hird.
    02/07/2017 at 2:26 pm Hi. Is couscous free ,,, and can you have it on S P day. Please. I have only just decided I like it. Ha. X
      03/07/2017 at 10:27 am Hi Lynn, couscous is free however as it's not a S or P food or a Healthy Extra you can't have it on SP days. It's great on normal Easy Extra days though! Hope that helps! :)
    Sara
    17/07/2017 at 10:25 pm Thankyou so much.You explained great.All ready brought yoghurt so will give sp ago when they are eaten. I understand why people can't understand no yoghurt.But there's plenty of syns Thankyou very much